seven

zoey and race had been awake half the night after they got back.

zoey spent the night cleaning races cuts and holding cold water to his bruises.she bandaged him up only under his shirt where no one would see,because he said he didn't want a bandage on his head.

the pair eventually fell asleep in races bed cuddling into one another.their legs were tangled and they were facing each other.

the newsies woke up and ignored the pair until boots glanced at them.

"hey guys look at races face!"
he called to the boys who were awake.

the boys crowded around and looked at the bruises on racetracks face.mush got closer and furrows his eyebrows.he looked at zoeys face for any and sighed in relief when he saw none.

"what do you think happened?"
specs asked as the newsies began to go back to getting ready.

some of the boys shrugged and kid blink sighed,
"he probably got into a fight protecting zoey"

the boys agreed and watched the two cuddling.

"yeah,he'd do anything for her."
skittery nodded,walking to a sink.

"he really loves her"
boots agreed.

going unnoticed by the newsies,zoey had heard them and her lips twitched up into a small smile.she cuddled closer into race and buried her face in his bruised chest.

race yawned and looked down to see zoey cuddling into him.he smiled and ignored the pain in his chest.

"mornin' love bird"
mush smirked from beside him.

"shut up"race rolled his eyes.

"what happned your eye?"mush asked,sitting in the bed beside races.

zoey yawned and sat up.race smiled at her and she returned the smile.he took her hand in his which didn't go unnoticed by mush.

"hey mush"

"mornin zoey"
mush smiled.

"some guy was talkin' about zoey"
racetrack answered mush.he felt zoey squeeze his hand and he squeezed hers back.

mush nodded to acknowledge race and stood up,getting ready for the day.

the newsies lounged around the square for most the day,singing about the strike.

zoey and specs sat beside each other on the ledge of the statue.specs was helping zoey read because she wanted to learn.

with an old newspaper,specs would read the word and spell it out to zoey.

race watched the two as he stood beside jack.jack was watching his sister with a smile.

"ise gonna miss her when i go to santa fe"
jack told race.

race looked at her brother and furrowed his eyebrows.he knew zoey would be crushed if jack left but he also knew she wasn't going to leave with him.