𝟎𝟐

Once again,Zoey was awoken to the sound of a thick New York accent

Once again,Zoey was awoken to the sound of a thick New York accent."Wake uppp."The voice whispered,nudging her arm gently.The girl let out a groan and stuffed her face into the faded pillowcase."Cmon Zo."

Zoey peeled her eyes open,expecting to see Kloppmen yet instead she spotted Racetrack hanging onto her top bunk,grinning from ear to ear.Under Zoeys bunk lay Mush,who was too deep into his sleep to notice Race hanging over him.

As Zoey came to her senses,she jumped up with a concerned face,her eyebrows furrowing."Race,what's up?Everyones asleep.."

Race chuckled and rubbed her bicep,assuring her everything was okay,"Let's go sit on the roof before everyone's up,yeah?"Zoey frowned,yet she swung her legs over the bunk bed and quietly hit the floor.Race held her hand and dragged her to the roof through the open window.

The pair placed themselves against stone and shivered with the morning breeze.After a moment Zoey let out a huff,"It's too cold Race."The boy beside her only smiled and pulled the shaking girl closer to him,wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

Zoey thanked herself mentally for sleeping in her work clothes,as she'd now have more time up here with Race.The girl let a smile grow on her face at the thought of Race.Shaking her head,she looked up to him and noticed he'd already been looking at her,"Why'd you bring me up here this early?"

"Well every time I try sit with you in front of the boys we get made fun of.Thought it'd be nice to have some alone time with my best friend."He spoke.

The pair grinned and continued looking at one another,staying silent.That was until Zoey gasped,her eyes widening.Racetrack sat up straighter,his eyebrows furrowed in concern,"What?What is it?"

"I forgot to show you!"Zoey exclaimed,pulling out a crumpled piece of paper that looked like it had been ripped from a newspaper.She quickly flattened the page out before placing it in racetracks hands.The boy started at it,grinning slightly.

"What's this?"

The page was a picture that held a house,bigger than they had both ever seen.A family of three stood outside of it,smiling from ear to ear.A wife,husband and young boy.

"That's gonna be my house someday."She spoke confidently.

The Higgins boy laughed and elbowed her,"You gonna be a scab someday?"He joked,earning a soft slap over the head.

"No.I'm gonna work hard for my money and bring you with me,wether ya' like it or not."She told him.Race grinned at the girl,knowing it wouldn't take a lot of convincing for him to pick up and leave with her.