three

when racetrack and zoey got back to the lodging house they had acted like nothing happened.race was acting normal again and even let zoey win a game of cards.

the next morning everyone got up and left like usual,zoey giving kloppmen a kiss on the cheek.

"they jacked up the price!"kid blink exclaimed,standing beside zoey.

"huh?"zoey frowned.she knew she had some money kept but she couldn't live off it forever.she knew she'd be back on the streets soon if they kept the price up.

"ya hear that jack?ten cents a hundred"blink exclaimed.

zoey spotted oscar behind her mocking her friend,she pushed him back and jumped off the ledge she was sitting on.

"you know,it's bad enough that we gotta eat what we don't sell!now they jacked up the price!can you believe that?"

"this will bust me,i'm barely making a living right now."skittery sighed,throwing his cigarette on the ground.

"ill be back sleepin on the streets."boots shrugged.

zoey sighed and stood beside crutchie.

"it dont make no sense,i mean all the money pulitzers makin..why would he gouge us?"mush asked crutchie and zoey.

"cause he's a tight wad that's why."
race answered for the two,walking over and wrapping an arm around zoeys shoulder.

zoey nodded agreeing with race.

"hey,come on.pipe down,it's just a gag"
jack rolled his eyes,waking to the barred window.

"so why the jack-up weasel."

"why not?"

weasel stuck a finger in his mouth and held it up,"it's a nice day."

jack walked away as the delancey brothers laughed with weasel.

"why don't you ask mr.pulitzer?"

"they cant do this to me jack"blink sighed.

"they can do whatever they want.it's their stinkin paper."race said.

jack sat down beside boots with an unreadable expression.

zoey noticed his expression and sighed.when jack didn't know what to do,there was no hope for they rest of them.

she stared playing with her hands and cracking her knuckles,a habit she picked up when she's anxious.

"it ain't fair.we got no rights at all."
boots told jack,who sighed in response.

"come on,it's a rigged deck.they got all the marbles,okay?"
racetrack spat,annoyance laced in his voice.

"jack,we gots no choice,let's get out lousy papes why'll wese still can."zoey said,looking at jack.

jack gently pushed zoey back as she tried to walk up the stairs,causing her to fall into race.he caught her by the waist and quickly let go,seeing jacks glare.