⤷ beginning hook

╔══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╗
𝕬𝖈𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓-𝕬𝖉𝖛𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊:
𝕻𝖊𝖗𝖘𝖔𝖓 𝕬𝖌𝖆𝖎𝖓𝖘𝖙 𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖊
╚══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╝

This is where you introduce the story's characters and environment. You've got the story moving and left the viewer with a lot of unanswered questions. You capture their interest and compel them to want to learn more.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

You'll start with defining the protagonist's everyday life by having them go about their daily activities. You may do anything you want as long as it isn't typical of what the rest of the audience does. Because it's important to the character, I'll say it again: The purpose is to show their starting point, from which they will (or will not) leave in the end.

Empathize with your readers by showcasing your flaws or fears in an honest and transparent manner. We must care about the protagonist's well-being before we are willing to put them in danger. In order to rescue the sufferer, they will have to overcome this weakness or fear.

Show what the hero wants. It doesn't matter if the desire is internal or external. The utilization of desires encourages the development of empathy. Make it evident that you want something badly enough to attract attention to it.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

1. Introduce supporting characters as rich and interesting.

Don't only give them names and looks; give them personalities as well. Invoke the reader's feeling of place and history using descriptions and details. They cannot be meaningless victims, perfect heroes, or exclusively wicked villains. Do not let them be any of those things. The protagonist's role must be clearly defined for each character.

A life-threatening occurrence (causal or coincidental) that begins the worldwide narrative as quickly as feasible should be used to capture your audience's attention.

Generating excitement and a sense of urgency in your audience is key to creating an effective inciting event (and ensuing conflict).

As soon as the main issue is resolved, the protagonist notices the new knowledge but decides not to do anything about it (perhaps wanting to delay making a decision or being prevented from making such a decision).

2. Introduce the Reader to Your Protagonist in Their Everyday Life

In order to slow things down and introduce your readers to your characters, you must first hook them and create the overall tone of your novel.

So, who do you see as the main character of your story? How would you describe them? What's it like to be them on a daily basis? What are they devoted to? What's the root of their dissatisfaction? What do you think about their shortcomings? What are the ramifications of these defects on their day-to-day activities?

In addition, when the reader first meets your protagonist, it's critical that you define what he or she desires. Is there anything your protagonist believes would "fix" or "make" their life better?

Your protagonist must have a goal from the beginning, even if that aim changes as the story progresses. This is the starting point for the reader's connection with your character and their desire to learn from, develop from, and change over the remainder of the novel.

3. Grab the Reader's Attention in the First Few Pages

In the first few chapters of your novel, you want to captivate the reader's interest and stimulate their curiosity about what comes next.

As a general rule, your Beginning Hook should be opened with an active variable.

In Suzanne Collins', for example, we first meet Katniss on the day of the reaping at her District 12 home. When she wakes up, the first thing she does is slip out of the home to go hunting so she can provide food for her family. In addition to seeing Katniss in action very away, we also get a feel of her daily routine and the difficulties she endures.

Now, you're probably thinking, "What about..." Does it imply that you must begin with a bang? You know, stuff like car wrecks, typhoons, and gunfights?

That isn't always the case.

Readers' attention might be "hooked" in several ways, such as with a strong beginning line or with an unexpected or surprising occurrence, a vivid description, or an original narrative voice.

You've done your job if your first few pages capture the interest of the reader enough for them to desire to know more.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Web Resources:
https://storygrid.com/action-genre/