⤷ character goals

╔══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╗
𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖌𝖔𝖆𝖑𝖘
╚══════ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══════╝

Action should occur for a reason—characters' actions should be based on their motivations, their points of view, and their previous choices. A protagonist's actions should always propel them towards their main goal in a way that is related to the plot events at hand. A character's goals affect their character development, forcing them to change and evolve depending on the way events unfold in your story.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Every main character has a goal or something they're trying to achieve over the course of a story, and it's important for the writer to identify what their character wants and what their character's needs are to properly convey them to the reader and immerse them into the world they've built.

During the writing process, you'll have to establish what your protagonist wants—figure out their character desires and decide if these are internal goals or external goals. A character's goals are integral to their character development and play a large part in how they contribute to the story structure and flow.

External goals:

An external goal is one that involves forces or motivations that exist outside of the character themselves. It could be an object they're searching for, or a destination they must reach, but this character's goal is an external conflict that is out there for the world to see, and it's one of the things that keeps them motivated until the end of the story. In an action movie Fast and Furious, the protagonist's goal is to take us inside the racing world. We know that despite whatever else happens to the protagonist throughout his journey, problems in real life couldn't be solved by a race, but still that is his main, specific goal to explore.

Internal goals:

An internal goal is your character's motivation beneath what they outwardly express that can be unbeknownst to the other characters, or even the reader. For instance, the character's goal on the exterior could be to get appointed to be the consigliere in the mafia family, but the true goal of the protagonist could be to immediately give advice and justice to the people that the law couldn't give. Having a character's wants driving them beneath the surface gives them a multifaceted quality that allows for added complex layers to your character's life and personality.

Figuring out how to pace major moments in your character's quest to achieve their goals can give you a better idea of when certain events should happen.

≫ ──── ≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫ ──── ≪

Web Resources:
https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-write-a-thrilling-action-story#4-elements-of-a-good-action-story