Chapter 25 - Proceed With Caution

Start from the beginning

Hina smiled drowsily, leaning her weight against the doorframe as she watched him get up and stretch the sleep out of his limbs.

He noticed her eyes on him and kept his signature scowl plastered on his face, hoping his scent won't give away his woefulness. "What is it?"

She nodded her head side to side. "It's nothing." Then her stomach grumbled, her cheeks flushed pink in embarrassment.

He smirked. "You came here to wake me for breakfast."

"Maybe."

Immediately he frowned hard, glaring at her. "Again with the shitty 'maybe'. I don't wanna hear that bullshit again. You got that."

She beamed, a giggle leaving her. "Okay. No more shitty maybes."

"Hmph."

And he stomped angrily to the bathroom.

It was no time for self pity.

He had a shitty woman to take care of.

-----

Hina was shuffling all around the house. Every time she went up the stairs she was carrying a pillow or a throw blanket or just a random item. And when she'd come down, her hands would be empty, ready to be filled with whatever she could find.

It was driving Bakugo crazy.

He knew this was all just a nesting instinct to find anything that brought her comfort and stash it in her nest for safe keeping. It wasn't that much of a big deal to him, considering that this wasn't even his house and none of the items were actually his.

But when she came in the kitchen, starting to haul piles of snacks he was on the brink of his patience.

And when she started to take out dishes his patience disintegrated into non-existence.

"Firework," he growled light and low. "Put it back."

She pouted, her azure orbs glossed over with appeal. "Just the cup." She held the crimson mug in her palms, the cool ceramic against her chest. "Please."

A tsk and he nodded in agreement, his eyes lingering on the mug. Knowing it had that meaningful quote hidden within, he didn't have the heart to say no. Not when it probably helped grounding her as it did with him. He couldn't- wouldn't do that to her. The last thing he'd consider himself was being hypocritical.

She squealed in joy, running up the stairs without putting the other dishes away.

Before she could disappear upstairs he said. "Wait."

She stopped, turning around and perking her brow up in question.

"Don't forget the meds doc gave you." He reminded, while finishing his last rep of push ups.

A smile with a nod of acknowledgement and she was gone, her legs carrying her as fast as they could take her.

Annoyed at her sudden childishness, he got up, carefully placing the dishes back in their respective places, his grumbles of irritation filling the silence in the cabin. He'd just cleaned the kitchen from lunch. Why did she have to go invade the cupboards now?

His answer was given from a high pitched trill echoing in off the walls.

His body went rigid, his inner alpha growling and crooning at the sound, his mind flurried with hot sultry thoughts.

He took in a deep breath, the cool air replenishing the heated breaths in his lungs, and slowly trudged up the steps.

That trilling sound was Hina, he realized. Specifically, her mating call.