Pushed to the Edge

Over the next few days, all people seemed to be able to talk about was how Black could have possibly gotten into the Castle. (Y/N) didn't much care for their theories, as without something based in the reality he knew, and something that was reasonably logical, he saw no reason to join in on the theorizing, because he himself had nothing to add.

Another thing that annoyed him, along with every Gryffindor imaginable, was the fact that Sir Cadogan was the Fat Lady's replacement. (Y/N) already didn't like the stout knight, and with how often he tried to duel someone or change the password along with making it complicated, (Y/N) wanted to rip the portrait off the wall. It was unfortunate no one was as stupid as Sir Cadogan, because anyone else would've been better.

Another thing (Y/N) noticed was an increased tail of Teachers on Harry. He could only imagine how frustrated that made him. If (Y/N) had to suffer with being followed at all times of the day, he'd go crazy.

On the bright side, the first Quidditch Match of the season was the following Saturday. He wouldn't be able to show off his Firebolt, but at least Harry would open the season strongly with a Gryffindor victory since Slytherin was usually pretty bad compared to Gryffindor, but tended to be better than the other Houses.

It was one day after classes had ended and he and Hermione had a mountain of homework. They had both left for the Library almost immediately and got to work.

They were through Ancient Runes, Charms, and halfway through Arithmancy when Hermione spoke up, "You want to take a short break? Most of this isn't due until the start of next week, and it's only Wednesday."

He looked up at her suspiciously, "Who are you and what have you done with Hermione?"

"What?" She was caught off guard.

"You never suggest taking an extended break until it's done... is everything okay?" He asked, concerned for his best friend.

"Yeah, everything is fine," she said smiling, "why wouldn't it be?"

"I dunno... it just doesn't seem like a 'you' thing to do," he pointed out.

"Oh, well..." before Hermione could think up the next thing to say, their table in the Library was approached by a timid looking First-Year in Hufflepuff robes.

"E-E-Excuse me... b-but... a-are you (Y/N)?" The young girl asked.

"I am..." (Y/N) had to turn his head slightly more than usual to look at the girl, "who wants to know?"

"Th-Th-This is for y-you," the girl dropped a letter on the table and then hurried away from there.

"Does it say who it's from?" Hermione asked.

"No, but I'm pretty sure that girl was asked to bring it to me by someone," (Y/N) said and cut the envelope, pulling out the letter. He had a bad feeling about this letter for some unknown reason. He opened it and immediately regretted doing so.

The letter had been hexed or cursed or something, because when it was opened, a nasty greenish-yellow liquid spewed out, hitting him right in the face.

Hermione was in shock for a moment, unbelieving what she was seeing. When she recovered moments later she got up and immediately went over to him, "(Y/N)!" She yelled out. When she looked at him, his hands were covering his face. He wasn't screaming in pain, but she could see that whatever hit him was acidic in nature.

Madam Pince had popped up a little later to shush her, but when she saw the state that (Y/N) was in, she immediately rushed over with surprising speed. Pince took him to the Hospital Wing, Hermione trailing ever so close.