Chapter 18 - Long History

Start from the beginning

"Right until your brother came."

"He wasn't even supposed to be there," she waved her hand, shaking her head. "Trust me, that'll never happen again."

***

Nate leaned his forehead against the table, the chatters not enough for him to ignore his mind replaying to vivid sights of Dante. Soon enough, Tyler joined him at the lunch table and began unwrapping her sandwich, glancing around the room and curling her lip at the noise. Then, they heard a squeaky noise from a microphone echoing across the cafeteria, causing a few students to groan and cover their ears before they realized who had the microphone in her hands.

It was the captain of the softball player, Madeline, who was very popular amongst the school. She was the stereotypical high school fantasy; blond hair, blue eyes, slim waist, tan skin and toned long legs. She had been passed around by the guys on the baseball team but that reputation wasn't one she claimed.

"Attention all." She clapped her hands before waving one, twirling around and stepping onto one of the cafeteria tables to get everyone's attention. Eventually, the chatter settled into silence.

"I'm Madeline and I will be organizing homecoming this year. Because the fall season is fast approaching, after speaking with student council, we decided to have it done a little earlier, in two weeks. I will also be hosting the after party—the homecoming king and queen will be announced before the football game that day and then we will celebrate afterwards. Let me know if any of you have any questions!"

"Do you want to go to homecoming with me?" Tyler wiggled her brows, seeing the response from Nate was to roll his eyes. However, before they could laugh any further, she breathed, "Oh no." The blond boy was laughing with his pals while making his way to their table, throwing a few glances to Tyler and Nate to make sure they didn't leave.

Jake patted Nate's back, making him cringe while shuffling away as Jake took a seat beside him. He was not the brightest kid to notice the signs and not be oblivious to everything; even the grimace Tyler made wasn't enough to make him leave. "Where were we on our last discussion?"

"We were nowhere," Nate sighed, leaning his head against his hand, his elbow sluggishly on the table. "I am not in the mood."

"You piece of—" Jake inhaled a sharp breath, not wanting to disrespect him or else he could tell Dante and Dante would punish him. If he was Dante's prey then nobody else could lay a hand on him, nor say anything negative that could hurt his feelings or else he could even have a finger cut off. He forced a smile, exhaling a shaky breath through his gritted teeth and gripping the back of Nate's neck, not tight enough for it to hurt. "Tell me who you are to Dante."

"He's a friend, Jake. Now leave us alone," Tyler spat harshly, annoyed by his presence.

Jake folded his arms. "I'm Dante's number one. He even told me that."

Tyler muttered under her breath, "From his young crew."

"That aside, he would never put his hands on me unless I had done something awful." He motioned towards Nate. "Beating up the kid shouldn't have landed me a—"

"What is this brat doing here?"

When Nate heard this new voice, sombrely deep but mysterious, with a little raspiness that made all his nerves begin to tumble, he felt one of his heart beats pound against his chest. He had never heard such tone before, a slight sting of danger and poisonous venom, but also layered underneath with a bit of warmth for the ones he protected.