hundred thirty-six

Start from the beginning

"Hey," Steve called out to her. "You okay?"

"Yeah... Yeah, I'm fine," Y/N said, swallowing. "It's just... People hate us. And I don't blame them. We didn't protect them like we always sworn to do."

"Y/N," Steve reached across and grabbed her hand. "We can't control them and their thoughts and actions. Only our own."

"And if they don't move on?"

Steve sighed. "Then we don't either."

~~~

"So, how's wedding planning coming?" Steve asked once the food arrived.

"Currently, it's not moving much," Y/N answered. "I just am exhausted all the time and I can't even think about trying on a dress right now. I've mainly just created several Pinterest boards and such."

"Well, you two are not in any rush, especially since you're waiting for little Mo to come."

"Little Mo?" Y/N giggled. "Is that what you're going to call her?"

"I figured that, as the uncle, I needed a nickname for my niece."

"You and Tony can't just wait for her to come?"

"But it's still too long of a wait. Like, how many more weeks?"

"I'm week 27 currently, so... I think I technically have 15 more weeks. Ugh, that's too long! Don't get me wrong, I have loved growing my daughter inside of me, but I'm tired of it and just want her here."

"She'll be here so enough and causing all sorts of problems then too."

"I guess you're right... She's not going to let me sleep for years."

"Good thing you won't be doing this alone. You have Tony, Happy, Rhodey, Nat, Pepper, and, like always, you'll have me."

"Thanks Stevie. Means a lot."

~~~

"I bought some flowers, they're at my place," Steve stated as they drove away from the diner. "Can we stop there and I can run in and grab them?"

"Of course, Stevie," Y/N answered. "You mind if I just stay in the car? I'm getting tired."

"It's no problem. I'll be quick."

"It's too bad though. I've never seen your new place."

"And I haven't seen yours."

"I'll convince Tony and we'll have you over soon. Or I'll convince him to leave and sneak you over. That probably won't happen until Morgan's here though. He barely let me do this."

"He's just scared and he cares. It's who Tony is."

"Yeah, I know. It's one of the reasons why I love him."

"I am happy for you. Even after all that's happened."

"Thanks, Stevie. I hope that one day you can find something that makes you happy as well."

Steve shot a tight-lipped smile at his sister before pulling off to the side and parking. He rolled down the windows a bit, pulled out his keys, and opened his door.

"I won't be long," he said, heading out the door.

"And I'll just me here," Y/N responded.

She sighed, leaning back the seat. Taking off her seatbelt, Y/N closed her eyes and rubbed her baby bump. She was so tired and just wanted to rest, though nothing was allowing her to. Then again, Y/N felt like something was off. Her eyes opened and she began to scan the area. Something was not right, and hadn't been all day. Sitting up straighter, as much as she could, her breath started quickening. Not able to see anything in front of her, Y/N checked the review mirror. She gasped just before a black suv came barreling into Steve's car.