XV - Phone Signal

Start from the beginning

Russia stands.

Cries of "Noooooo!" and "but I'm tired," ring out around him to no avail.

"We have to go," Russia soothes, shaking North Dakota off his arm.

"Come on!" Ohio snaps, already on his feet, "I want to go home."

Russia takes the lead of the group, hand-in-hand with America. Russia hikes with the others down the mountainside, smelling the air and trying to stay alert. His feet start to ache, but America promises that they're getting close.

It takes them most of the day to find the most well-worn part of the path. America says it's a good sign for how close they are to being somewhere accessible.

Behind them, Ukraine waves a phone in the air lazily. The states had been passing it around, trying to find a cell signal.

"Wait. Wait! I have a signal," Ukraine cries proudly.

Everyone stops in their tracks and a few of the teens' cheer.

"Really?! Gimme!" Texas exclaims, running up to Ukraine.

Ukraine cries out as Texas tackles him. Russia spins around, ready to grab Texas' shoulder. Ukraine hugs the phone to his chest with one hand and shoves Texas' face back.

"Hand it over!" Texas demands.

"<Get off of me! RUSSIA!>"

"TEXAS!" America scolds.

Russia pulls Texas off and holds him above the ground by the back of his collar. Texas pouts and crosses his arms.

"Texas," America says seriously, his arms crossed.

"What?" Texas exclaims, throwing out his arms.

"Why did you jump on him?" Russia asks in a tired tone, rubbing his face in exasperation.

"I want to call Dixie!"

Ukraine mumbles something under his breath and gets to his feet. Texas looks away, blushing. Ukraine loosely holds the phone out and scowls, trying to brush the dirt from his sweater.

"Sorry..." Texas says.

Ukraine huffs.

"Can I have the phone?" Texas asks sheepishly, "please?"

Ukraine grumbles but hands it over.

Texas dials a phone number and takes a deep breath. He puts it up to his ear, pre-emptively flinching.

"Howdy," Texas says nervously, his voice unusually high.

The anticipation fades. Concern shines through Texas' eyes, and he hunches over, rubbing his arm.

"Dixie?" Texas calls apprehensively.

America's ears seem to perk up at the tone. Russia grows curious to hear the other side of the conversation, but he can't hear it through the phone. He does notice that Texas doesn't look pleased.

"Dix, are you okay?"

The response must not have been very believable if the doubt on Texas' face is anything to go by. Even so, Texas seems to shake his worries off.

"Yeah. We're walking down a trail and Dad says we'll be reachin' the road soon. Where are y'all?"

Texas is quiet for a moment before he hums in response.

"Okay, we'll try to meet up with ya at a mile marker or somethin'... yeah... bye."

Texas pulls the phone down and stares at it.

"Taz?" New Mexico asks tentatively.

"That was... weird," Texas comments, his tone unreadable.

"What d'you mean?" Alabama asks.

"He... he didn't yell at me or nothing," Texas says, looking lost, "what...? What do I do with that?"

"That's not good," America says nervously, running a hand through his hair.

Texas hums. America extends a hand.

Texas grows quiet, listlessly handing America the phone. Ukraine fervently stands by while America types a number in and pulls the phone to his face. As soon as he's done dialing, he takes Russia's hand in his own.

'Ukraine is probably waiting to call Papa.'

'It can wait a few more minutes.'

"Hi, Yorky," America tries, sounding chipper.

Russia feels America grip onto his hand, a worried look on his face. America fidgets with Russia's fur, chewing on his lip.

"Kiddo," America says in a gentle tone, "It's okay. We're all... no, sweetheart, you don't have to... shhh, it's okay... yeah, I know... mhmm. Is Jersey with you?"

America sighs.

"Okay kiddo, breath. It's okay. We'll be meeting with Dixie soon, okay? We'll be home s... York. Listen to me," America says in a serious and worried tone, "this isn't your fault. I promise."

America takes a breath.

'He looks worried. What's going on with New York?'

"I know baby, but it isn't your fault. Texas made a bad call and... I know kiddo, I know."

Russia looks up to see Texas shrink in on himself. Texas rubs his arms, muttering something Russia can't hear. He hides under the brim of his hat.

"Is that York?" Texas asks.

America nods. Texas mumbles something to the ground.

"What did you say?" America asks, pulling his hand away and covering the mic on the phone.

"Can I talk to him?" Texas repeats, rubbing his neck.

America looks apprehensive, but he ultimately relents. He holds out the phone for Texas to take.

"Yeah, come'ere."

Texas shuffles over and takes the phone.

"... hi?" Texas chirps stiffly.

Texas flinches immediately and pulls the phone from his face. Then, he brings it back and begins talking loudly, as if to drown someone else out.

"York, I- No, I just- I know it was a stupid decision, okay?!"

Texas huffs and the anger falls from his face. Regret takes its hold on his features.

"'M sorry, Yorky... yeah, I know. I shouldn't have left, 'specially not like that. I'm s... Everyone is okay, I'm fine."

Texas rubs the back of his neck, his eyes glued to the ground.

"I'm sorry."

Texas listens for a moment before his eyes light up a little.

"Can I ask you somethin' while I got you on the phone?"

There must have been affirmation because Texas nods before speaking again.

"Is something going on with Dixie?"

Texas begins pacing while listening, holding his arms close to his chest. He nervously begins kicking around rocks and sticks, his brow furrowed.

"... okay. He's not saying anything?"

Then, Texas hums. After a moment, he sighs and drops his arms.

"Thanks, York... hey, listen? ...Well, one, I'm sorry. Two, you couldn't have stopped me anyway... yeah, I deserve that. Okay. I'll see you soon. Bye."

Texas hands the phone back to America. America takes it with a grimace, seeming distracted.

"Okay York. We're going to have to get moving again, okay? I'm gonna hang up, but you'll be hearing from us soon... okay... love you too, bye."

America sighs and rubs his face.

"Can I have it now?" Ukraine asks.

'Uh oh.'