Chapter XX: A New Case

(Y/N)'s POV

Hmm... I wonder if the dose is small enough...

Thug "P-please... I won't steal ever again i promise..."

(Y/N) "Oh i believe you! Of course, that doesn't mean im gonna let you go home free. My experiments aren't over yet but hopefully the dose won't be lethal this time. Looking for test subjects are always a burden. Now. hold still..."

I walked over to the thug bound to the chair with a syringe in my hand. He started struggling around once more. Just when i thought we were done with this...

(Y/N) "hey! Stop moving! I can't get the needle in!"

Thug "Like hell i'd stop! you psychopath! Let me go-mmphh!!"

Jade held his mouth and kept him in place as i finally injected the pitch black liquid.

A few seconds later, he stopped moving and Jade let go of him after i gestured her to move away.

I kept watching, expecting something to happen but after 30 seconds, still nothing. I ordered Jade to check on him and she placed a finger on the under-side of his wrist. She shook her head at me.

(Y/N) "gah damn it! That dose was still too big, are you kidding me?! Ugh... get rid of the body."

Jade "yes, Your Grace."

I turned around and decided that I've probably done enough experiments for today...

I took off my latex gloves and threw it in the bin before walking up the stairs until eventually popping out near Trancy Manor's servants' quarters. If you're wondering why im often found in the basement of the manor, it's because my experiments tend to make a lot of noise from the subjects screaming- and or begging for their life, and i'd rather not bother everyone else with the inconvenience of the sound. Of course, there's also the matter of smell and keeping it underground with a direct ventilation to the outside air keeps the manor itself smelling fresh.

I made my way to my office and walked past the triplets in the process who thankfully by now has taken out the spear from their heads, and gave a quick greeting to Ms. Hannah along the way. Eventually, i opened my office door. It used to be an old lounge room adjacent to the library but i ordered it to be repurposed for my use.

I've always enjoyed reading and having ample access of books that i could read just outside my office is comforting. As i entered, i saw Azel sitting on the main chair at the end of the room and reading a letter with what looks to be the Phantomhive sigil.

Azel "Oh hey. There you are."

(Y/N) "What are you doing?"

Azel "Just reading some of Ciel's old letters. I wanted to know what happened on my absence."

(Y/N) "Actually, that's a good point. Where did you go after you escaped?"

Azel locked his sight on mine before putting down the letter and looking away, seemingly in shame.

Azel "I ran... Like a coward... I ran and I cried until I couldn't see where i was going. Apparently at some point i tripped and the next thing i remember is that i woke up in a bed surrounded by priests. One of them sat next to the bed i was laying on and asked me questions. My name, where my parents are, where I live. I didn't answer most of it. I only gave them my name and told them that I need to get back to you. Rescue you from a bad place. So they offered me a solution..."

My eyes opened wide whilst hearing my brother's story. I could tell that even now, even though I never saw his escape as betrayal, or his disappearance as a fault, he feels guilt.

Azel "They said that i was strong and they recruited me into the ranks of the Holy Knights. I was never much for religion but... I saw it as a way to get back to you. If i could become one, then i could return and save you. So i did. Rose up the ranks and eventually got promoted to a captain. Had my own team and everything. It was like having an actual family. We'd sleep together in the barracks, eat together, pray together... I trusted them. What a fool I was."

(Y/N) "What happened...?"

My brother shifted a bit before taking a deep breath and continuing.

Azel "There was some big news going on. 'The Devil has chosen a successor.' Kids were being killed all over England in fear that it might be them.  You were one of the ones on their list and i tried to convince them to stand down. Most of my men agreed but two of them reported me to the priesthood. I was taken to a cell and tortured for heresy."

I couldn't speak. I only stayed stood with my mouth open and my eyes pulled wide. All this information is a bit heavy to take in all at once. Although i was still processing most of it, I have to know what happened. All of it.

 (Y/N) "What did they do? And how did you escape?"

Azel gave a fake pained chuckle before he stood up from his seat and walked to me with a letter in his hand. He pat my head and ruffled my hair.

Azel "That's a story for another time, bud. For now, you should head to Phantomhive Manor. Ciel's waiting for you."

He gave me the letter he was holding in his hand and walked out the room.

I was still baffled by everything he said but after a few seconds of staring aimlessly at the door, i was able to recollect my thoughts. I sat down on my chair and looked around my desk. Azel's done all my paperwork...

Seeing nothing else to tend to, i read the letter on my hand.

Dear (Y/N),

Although you told me yesterday that you'd visit, I ask that you come prepared. Her Majesty contacted with a case. The disappearance of children all throughout England and I'd very much appreciate it if you could join me in solving this case.

I've a lead we may be able to follow but the nature of it is quite inclusive. I expect you here at Phantomhive manor at your earliest convenience so we can discuss in further detail. This is all I can tell you for now, make haste.

Ciel Phantomhive.

Well that's definitely Ciel talking, alright.

Well then... no more dilly-dally. Time to get to business.

missing children and a lead difficult to follow even for Ciel... I wonder how this will play out... I guess there's only one way to find out.

(Y/N) "Jade."

Jade "I am here, Your Grace."

(Y/N) "Alert the carriage drivers. We're going to Phantomhive manor."

Jade "Yes, Your Grace..."

Heya! Oly here! I noticed that some of you may like the title of 'My Lord' better so feel free to change it in your mind if you like, but there is actually a lore-wise reason as to why (Y/N)'s title is 'Your Grace' and not simply 'Lord'. The reason is tied to his family bloodline and will be explored in further chapters. As a quick teaser, here's a clue as to why: (Y/N)'s surname is Adelai. That doesn't exactly sound British does it?