25. He Fell To His Knees

When Xia He's mother heard that his finely dressed man had called her ''mother'', it took her a while before it finally came to her.

''You are Gu Zechuan?'' Xia He's mother asked in surprise.

Gu Zechuan nodded, ''Yes, mother. I am Gu Zechuan. I came here to look for Xia He. Is she home?''

Gu Zechuan knew in his head already that Xia He couldn't possibly be here, but still he couldn't help but hope, or simply would not accept the truth. He wanted Xia He to be here so much, that she had only went home to her mother's, like how women would often do when they had fights with their husband, and then he would come, apologize, and take her back home with him. But the expression of pain on Xia He's mother's face made it clear to him that they were nothing but his own wishful thinking.

The expression on Xia He's mother's face was that of pure sadness. Her eyes watered, as she looked at Gu Zechuan, ''What kind of husband are you? Don't you even know that your own wife has died? I know my daughter wasn't happy in her marriage. Her husband doesn't lover her, and he even brought another woman home just to antagonize her. Now that she is already dead, what are you even here for?''

Gu Zechuan's body shook and faltered at Xia He's mother's words. Xu Feng quickly grabbed his arm and stabilized him.

Xia He, so she really died?

''I want to see her one last time. Please, may I?'' Gu Zechuan asked, humble.

And Xia He's mother suddenly became livid. She shoved Gu Zechuan, and yelled angrily, ''You never gave her any love when she was still alive. And now, now that she has died, what are you even doing here? Coming here to spread your false sympathy? Showing off to everyone what a great man you are? My daughter never wanted to see you again! If only, if only you took her to the hospital then, she might even be able to live a few days more... But you, you! Her pleas fell on your deaf ears! Do you even have a heart?''

Gu Zechuan's heart pained as if it had been stabbed by a sharp blade. He let Xia He's mother push him around however she wished. He took the blows from her fists without fighting back. He felt that he deserved every single one of them.

No matter how she treated him, he would accept it. He must.

When Xia He's mother exhausted herself from crying and hitting him, she wiped at the tears in her eyes,''I cremated her body already. Her ashes are inside. If you must see her one last time, do as you wish.''

In the end, Gu Zechuan had no choice but to accept it, that Xia He is dead, through and through. The once lively and smiling Xia He, had now turned into a pile of ashes, lying quietly inside a small jar in front of him.

Looking at Gu Zechuan, unable to do anything apart from standing there in lace while holding and hugging the jar of her ashes in his hands, Xia He's mother stared at him with cold eyes. She asked, ''What? Gu Zechuan? Regretting?''

Gu Zechuan hugged the jar as tightly to his chest as possible, then pressed his face into the cold jar. He seemed to have heard what Xia He's mother have said, or perhaps he hasn't.

''Millie, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Can you ever forgive me? Please, no more of this. Don't play with me anymore, you haven't really died right? Tell me you haven't.'' Gu Zechuan mumbled to himself, almost inaudibly.

Xia He's mother and Xu Feng both sighed at this sight. Perhaps they were thinking of the same thing.

There is no cure for regret. If you don't like the fruit you would reap, why sow its seed in the first place? What good does regret do? Nothing can be done to turn back the hands of time.

Gu Zechuan said to Xia He's mother, ''I want to take Millie home.''

''Never! She is my daughter, you will not have her! You mistreated her when she was alive, and you would continue to torment her even after she had died!'' Xia He's mother rejected him immediately.

Xia He's mother, and even more so to Xu Feng, what they never have expected is that, the great Gu Zechuan that stood ever so proud, sudden dropped to his knees and knelt in front of Xia He's mother.

''Mother, Millie is mine. Whether alive, or dead, she was mine and I am hers. I regretted everything I've done. For the rest of my life, I only wanted her to be by my side. Be it a living person, or a jar of ashes, I want to be with her. I need her. Please, please let us be together...'' Gu Zechuan said, never before had he begged so earnestly and desperately as he did now.