12. I Was The One Who Saved You!

When Xia He came back, Gu Zechuan only gave her a glance, then turned away to gaze adoringly at Yang Qinglian, reclining against him by his side.

Yang Qinglian looked challengingly and tauntingly at Xia He, and Gu Zechuan saw none of it.

Xia He gripped her fingers into a fist, her nails digging into her palm, and yet, she mustn't let them know how much all of it pained her. She mustered as much serenity as she had, and passed by Gu Zechuan and Yang Qinglian quietly.

Looking at Xia He, walking by as if nothing had happened, a flame of anger burned in Gu Zechuan. He got to his feet, grabbed Xia He by the wrist, and glared at her angrily.

''I'm hungry. Go make something.'' Gu Zechuan said.

Xia He looked at Yang Qinglian, still reclining on the sofa and looked tauntingly at her, ''I'm not feeling well. Why don't you ask you little Lian to make it for you?''

''She just went through a stillborn. She is still weakened from it. So you do it, since you're obviously completely fine.'' Gu Zechuan said.

Now that's just taking it too far!

She'd rather die before moving a finger to make food for that scheming snake. Xia He threw Gu Zechuan's hand away from her, and backed off a few steps, ''Apologies, but I will not. You can bring your little tramp to some restaurant elsewhere, or have your maids make it for her. But this, I will not do.''

''Though, I will say on thing. You think that tramp really loved you? That child she supposedly had a stillborn wasn't even yours. Just keep having her around if you enjoy being the father of another man's child.''

Xia He's words brought a frown to Gu Zechuan's face. He turned around to face Yang Qinglian, and as soon he did, Yang Qinglian immediately looked the picture of a poor and innocent wrongly accused little girl. She said weakly, ''No, Zechaun, Ms. Xia is lying. I love you, Zechuan, and, only you, nothing else mattered to me except you. Though fate was cruel enough to take him away from us, I still can't believe that Ms. Xia would say that about my poor child. He was truly your flesh, Zechuan.''

As he saw that Yang Qinglian began to cry, Gu Zechuan's heart went out to her. Thinking back on everything that Yang Qinglain had done for him in the past two years, he felt that if there's anyone in the world that he owes his life to, it'd be none other than her.

''Xia He, I truly didn't think that you'd still try to badmouth my little Lian even now. If she really only loved me for my money, then she wouldn't have risked her life to come to save me two years ago. That fire almost cost her life. And you? What have you ever done for me?'' As he looked back at Xia He, Gu Zechuan's eyes darkened.

That fire? Two years ago?

A trace of shock flashed across Xia He's eyes. Two years ago, there was a fire at a restaurant, and Gu Zechuan was caught in it. Back then, she rushed into the sea of flames with all she had and was just barely able to drag Gu Zechuan out of the burning inferno. Just what had happened that Yang Qinglian became the one who had saved him?!

''She lies! I was the one who saved you from that fire two tears ago, how could you say that it was her?!'' At this point Xia He could no longer act as if nothing can get to her. Two years ago, by the time when she dragged Gu Zechuan out of the fire, he had lost consciousness already. She never once mentioned it to Gu Zechuan, because she doesn't want him to feel that she was trying to put him in her debt. She never once realized that Yang Qinglian had took advantage of that, and that she had pretended that it was her all along!

Gu Zechuan stopped for a second, but his eyes soon became even more so filled with despise than ever before. ''Xia He, have you finally ran out of lies to tell? That you'd spout such an obvious lie? If you're the one who saved me, why was it that when I woke up, it was my little Lian who was watching over me by my side and not you?''

''I...''

There was nothing she could say. At that time, when she brought the unconscious Gu Zechuan to the hospital, she received a call telling her that her grandfather's condition was critical, and she could only rush to her grandfather's side to be with him in his final moment. But now, she realized, that no matter how hard she tried to explain, Gu Zechuan will never listen.