"Come on," I say encouragingly, pulling his arm over my shoulder. "Let me help you."

Daniel nods, giving me a weird sort of look. "Thanks Gemma."

I nod. "No problem." We continue walking, at a tedious pace, but I hold back all of the sarcastic and choleric comments I would normally have. Daniel gives me butterflies in my stomach. I take one look in his sparkling brown eyes, and it's all I can do not to blush.

"I'm sorry," Daniel says.

"What?" I ask, perplexed at what he had done.

"I'm sorry," Daniel repeats. "For pestering you about not telling anyone I have epilepsy." He shrugs. "Doesn't matter now though." He heaves a sigh.

"I'm sorry," I say. That's all I can think of to say.

Daniel shrugs. "It's not your fault."

We're nearing the nurse's office.

"Hey," Daniel's face brightens. "Maybe I can just hang out with you."

Internally, I'm practically screaming. He wants to hang out with me?

I smile, hoping I'm not blushing profusely. "I'd be open to that."

Daniel lets his arm fall off my shoulder and smiles at me. "Thanks." He says. Then it happens. The best two seconds of my life.

He presses his lips to mine and holds them there for a couple seconds. A shiver rushes through my spine. Then he removes his lips, smiles at me one more time and opens the door to the nurse's office.

He kissed me?

He kissed me!

He kissed me.

I walk back to the classroom, anticipation building inside of me. He. Kissed. Me. Me! The nobody. The girl no one talks to. And he talked to me. I see a poster for the Fall Dance on the wall, and despair entombs my life once again.

I'm the shy girl with a mental disorder. He's not going to want to be seen with me at the dance. Him, the boy all girls drool over. I'm just another one of them. I'm just another girl who thinks he's hot because he's on the football team, who thinks he's cute because he's the quarterback. He's the most popular boy in school. He's probably kissed dozens of girls before me. He could do this all the time. Just because he made me feel special doesn't mean I am.

I'm just the quiet girl with PTSD. What makes me special? I look down at Bella, who prances faithfully beside me. She looks up at me with this trusting, amazing look only a dog can give you.

She's what makes me special. I am hers and she is mine. We only have each other.

*Daniel POV*

I am hopelessly in love. When I get home lips are still tingling from the kiss. Gemma had a different feel than other girls had.

Gemma... was different. She was snarky and sarcastic, and not afraid to tell you what she thought, as long as she was willing to say more than a few words to you. What had happened Tuesday at the support group was proof. But I liked it. Her type of rudeness wasn't the same as McKenzie's. Hers just felt... right. It felt right. She felt right. I don't know what had prompted me to kiss her. The time just felt right.

When our lips touched, her eyes had widened, with a look of shock on her face, but not necessarily revulsion. So maybe, just maybe, we had a shot.

I felt terrible for avoiding her to keep my social status, when she was willing to help me when I have seizures.

I wanted to make it up to her so badly, I just didn't know how.

She was so beautiful and the way her blue eyes sparkled in the sun... it made my stomach turn.