˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚In the following time he took his life - 1.5

Start from the beginning

It was a quiet evening, half a year after Katsuki's death, and he placed the legal sheets on the coffee table with just about as much ease somebody might drop a book. There was a nervous look in his eyes though, but it was always present whenever he was around his wife. That look always got Mitsuki so mad (insulted), maybe that's why she couldn't stand his presence very often.

Mitsuki hadn't been sure what the papers were at first, but she was sure her husband reveled in the sight of her looking through the very first pages with a look as though she's been eternally condemned.

'What would the media say!?' Mitsuki argues to Masaru's silent assertion, he really can't be going through with this. But they both know they don't give a shit about the media, they've already labelled them as a dysfunctional family a while ago in a bright light. Funny how they took back their warm words so quickly after Katsuki killed himself. Divorcing might even lighten the heavy jabs the media has taken against them.

Masaru just blinks, and sighs, 'We can't live like this anymore. Think about it.'

'I...' Mitsuki can't help but stare up at Masaru as he begins to walk away, feeling her body sink further down into the couch. She wants to keep Masaru, not because she loves him, that love has stretched too thin to be worth much, but because he's there. He's there to take all of her cruelty, to relieve all her bad feelings with that crestfallen expression.

So for one moment, her parting words to him are a quick snipe, 'I burnt Katsuki's letters to us.'

That makes him still. His eyes snatch towards Mitsuki with such ferocity, disdain, and shock. As though still trying to comprehend her words, his voice is like melted steel. Malleable and soft, but hot enough to burn through your arm, 'What? You did what?'

Mitsuki knows Masaru has spent his time suffering, thinking he condemned his own son. Under the belief that everybody but he and Mitsuki got letters because they weren't worthy. The shock in his eyes is what Mitsuki takes from the situation, and she revels in that too. Because it's a little worse than a divorce letter.

Masaru wasn't special, he was just strong. Strong enough to let himself get torn apart by words over and over and stay. Mitsuki knows any other man would have ran long ago, but Masaru was so strong for her. So nice and strong. Mitsuki gives him a short smile. The type of smile that the judge of heaven and hell might give you before condemning you to an eternity of flames, or whatever else is out there.

Mitsuki continues after thoroughly enjoying that robbed expression of his, 'It was a long letter Masaru. He never hated you. But know I could just be telling you this, mh?'

'You're a cruel, cruel woman,' His voice has no stability, and his eyes begin to grow moist, 'I hate you, I hate you so much. You're so self involved I-'

Mitsuki would disagree. She's done a lot for this marriage. In the end she succumbed to the futility of it all. She loved Masaru at the start of course, but things went downhill. And she couldn't leave because of Katsuki. She was young, and found Masaru's adoring nature so suffocating. Until that adoring nature died, killed by her. It was when it was gone that she realized she fucked up, because when all his adulation died, she felt unloved. And so terribly lonely.

So she took it all out on them.

But she still stayed for them.

Because they wouldn't have functioned without her. 

It was never a matter of compassion, it was a matter of pure necessity. 

But now the glue holding their defunct family together has slipped through into a wholly different world. Of course their rickety personalities would detach soon. Even if Katsuki stayed alive however, Mitsuki's love could never have proved to be enough for a marriage. It would have ended like this anyways. The course of events now just meant Katsuki's death was the final straw.

Maybe if things had been different, perhaps if Mitsuki had waited longer instead of marrying a man she had dated for barely two years. If she had taken time to mature, perhaps they could have truly loved each other.

Perhaps if she wasn't so heady in her younger years, she could have avoided all this.

Masaru could have avoided all this. He didn't have to be her shoulder to cry on or a face to scream in.

So she found a pen, sat herself down, and signed the divorce letter.

Words: 1384

And this is where this story ends. I wanted it to end on the note of stuff still continuing, like Katsuki died but he still left an imprint on everybody. Stuff will continue, but it will never be the same.