"Fuck you. Stop pushing her around, asshole. She's not with you anymore, or did you forget that?" The mocking tone in Steven's voice sends about a thousand different shades of red flashing across Kevin's face. He's so furious he's practically vibrating with the emotion.

"Stay out of my business," Kevin fumes just as I jerk out of his hold and go over to stand by Steven's side. I can tell the gesture alone surprises him. Hurts him. Infuriates him.

Good.

"I'm not your business any longer, Kevin," I tell him, stiffening when I feel Steven's hand rest at the small of my back. He's putting on some sort of unified front for Kevin and I'm not sure if I want him to. "There's nothing left for us to discuss."

"Connie ..."

"Not here," I say, interrupting him. "Stop. Go. Before you make a fool of yourself even more."

He glares at us both, his gaze going from me to Steven and back to me. I stiffen my shoulders and lift my chin, hoping I look strong when I feel anything but.

"We'll talk later," he mutters before he walks away, tucking the ring box back into his pocket.

"The guy can't take a hint," Steven says the moment Kevin is out of earshot, streaking his thumb across the center of my back, making me shiver.

I step away from him, uncomfortable. "You shouldn't have butt in."

He cocks a brow. "You looked like you needed a helping hand."

"It was fine. I'm capable of having a civil conversation with my ex."

"Your ex was asking you to marry him, and you were obviously in a shady situation." He countered.

I release a shuddering breath, hating how everything tightens inside of me at the mention of the word ex. Am I regretting my decision? I just ... I don't know what I want anymore. I feel completely out of control.

And I don't like it.

"I'm. Fine."

"You might be, but I'm not so sure about Johnson." Steven takes a step toward me and I back up, feeling cornered. Feeling ... trapped.

And angry. Why do all the men in my life try to push me around? "I don't need you to come to my rescue."

He smiles, but it looks more like he's baring his teeth. "Looked like it to me."

I cross my arms in front of my chest. "I don't need you interfering in my personal business." I sound like a shrew but I really don't care. I'm mad. Mad at Kevin, mad at Steven ... I'm being completely irrational, but my life has become tumultuous at best or an absolute tornado at worst.

He takes another step toward me, his expression menacing, eyes dark as he watches me. I step back, my butt hitting the wall, and I drop my arms, bracing my hands flat. "He had his hands on you." He's now so close his leg brushes the skirt of my dress. "He was yelling at you. He was threatening you."

"He wasn't."

"Why are you defending him? He's fucking Lapis," he says harshly.

Hearing him say it like that ... sounds so sordid. And makes me feel bad because I'm doing the same exact thing with him. "And I'm fucking around with you. What's the difference?"

He raises his brows, looking almost amused at what I said. "The difference? You're not with him anymore. You're with me."

"We're not together." He touches my cheek and I lean into his touch automatically. "It happened once."

"And it was amazing."

I shrug, trying to ignore the husky reverence in his voice. It doesn't matter what he thinks. We probably shouldn't be doing this. Any of this. I think I'm in over my head. No. Not think ... I know I'm in over my head. "It shouldn't happen again," I whisper as he leans in, his nose brushing against the side of my face.

"Oh, it's going to," he whispers, his lips moving against my cheek. "You want it to. I bet if I slipped my hand beneath your dress I'd find you bare. Just like I asked."

I close my eyes, praying that no one will find us here. Yes, we've maneuvered ourselves somehow into an even darker corner of the party, but still. We're not in complete hiding.

"And I bet if I slipped my fingers between your legs, I'd find you wet," he continues, his velvety, deep voice weaving some sort of seductive spell on me. I'm almost tempted to dare him to see if I'm as wet as he imagines. "I bet I could make you come in seconds."

A huff of surprised laughter escapes me. I feel that anger over being owned rise up again "Rather confident in your abilities, aren't you?"

"Just remembering how I had you coming all over my face the last time I saw you. That gorgeous expression of ecstasy all for me..."

My entire body goes weak at his words. I open my eyes to find him tracing his finger along the plunging neckline of my dress, teasing at the sensitive skin between my breasts. "Oh God, no. N-not having this conversation here." I protest breathlessly.

He smirks and his eyes flash that unnatural color. "Let's take it elsewhere, then."

"Steven ..."

"Fuck," he groans, slipping his finger beneath the fabric and touching my breast. "Your skin is so damn soft." I can feel his cock pressing against me, hard just for me.

My eyes fall shut when he strokes my nipple. "Please. Stop," I murmur.

In an instant his hand is gone and his body heat disappears. Opening my eyes, I find he's stepped completely away from me, his hands stuffed into his pockets once more, his expression neutral. Almost as bland as Kevin's.

I hate it. Hate having him that far away from me. Hate even more the turbulent emotions swirling within me. I want him. I don't. I like him, but not really. He's so closed off most of the time. Treats life like it's one big joke.

Sexually we share a strong connection. It scares me a little. But more than that I want to explore it to the deepest parts.

But I would be stupid to even attempt it. Steven Universe can only be using me. But is it wrong that I want him to?

"Don't give me that sad little look, Connie." He reacts the opposite way of Kevin. His frustration is silent, indifferent. His eyes are dull and I feel my throat tighten with every word he says. "If you say no, I'm not about to push myself on you."

I open my mouth but suddenly he's gone, and I'm left to deal with these muddled emotions on my own.