Connie 3

A/N: This chapter is VERY VERY much longer than my others. Enjoy, Juanifans ❤️

"He's acting suspicious. I don't like it. He's planning something, right? He's gotta be planning something."

"Yeesh, Connie. Relax. You're freaking yourself out over probably nothing."

"But he's not acting right." I almost continued but got a pointed look from my sister and simpered. "Sorry, he's just in my head, I guess." I say a little red faced.

"Does he ever act right?" Stevonnie asks with an evil laugh. All I can focus on is Kevin, though and the way he's been ignoring me. Instead of spending time with me like he usually does, he's allowing that tramp Lapis to rub all over him like a cat in heat. She flashes him hot, yearning glances constantly, bats her thick lashes at him and licks her lips like she's starving where they make eye contact. And that fake tinkling laughter anytime he says anything grates on my nerves every time I hear it.

We had planned a dinner date tonight, but instead we're at a cocktail party along with various employees, investors and managers from Crystal Clear Cosmetics. I really didn't want to go. I tried my hardest to beg Kevin out of it, but he wouldn't hear of it. He's in full-blown suck-up mode at the moment, ready to do whatever it takes to please my Father and any of the other executives paying attention to him so he can secure that job promotion in London.

He doesn't seem to really see me anymore. He sees through me, past me, over me. He sees an opportunity to seal that promotion when he sees me, his own fiancé.

Ex.

Ex fiancé. Not ex girlfriend.

"We were supposed to go to dinner by ourselves," I tell Stevonnie. I'm watching him, sipping my glass of wine distractedly. "I didn't even want to go to this stupid party, but he did. He thought we'd make the best of it. Put in an appearance and leave-those were his exact words." I slowly shake my head, remembering how serious and loving he'd seemed. He grabbed my hands gently and earnestly he had said we would be quick. How he promised we wouldn't stay long. What a lie. He came here to see Lapis, not to spend any time with me. "We came together, but the moment we entered the doors he took off. Hasn't spoken to me since, and we've been here awhile now." I glance at the clock on the wall and sigh. "Almost two hours."

"Are you saying he club snubbed you?" Stevonnie sounds shocked, though with a hint of sarcasm.

I nod and sip from my wineglass again, surprised to find it empty. I drank that faster than I thought. My head is feeling lighter than usual, too. "Can you believe it?" I say deadpan.

"No, I honestly can't. He's always so attentive. Sometimes too attentive." Stevonnie rolls her eyes and eyes my empty glass out the corner of her eye.

"Not tonight," I scowl and Stevonnie laughs a little. "What?"

"You seem a little loser now." She remarks. "Must be the wine." A waiter strolls past with more drinks and she grabs two, handing me one.

"Thank you," I say, beaming at him. He smiles and nearly trips over his own feet.

"Oh?" Stevonnie asks the moment the waiter leaves, sounding incredulous. "You must be tipsier than I thought."

"Tipsy?" I drink more wine, enjoying the buzz of the alcohol as it courses through my veins and heats my skin. My hair is down, the dress I'm wearing is black and sleeveless, with delicate sheer lace along the shoulders and stretched across the bodice. I have on the highest, shiniest black heels I can muster, the skirt of my dress hits just barely mid-thigh. I felt pretty, confident. The day had started off positive from the start. I gathered a collection of inspirational photos and sent them to Steven so he and his team understood my vision. My older sister Rose and I met for lunch, and it was really nice. We had a real, deep conversation. I'd been grudgingly excited about tonight despite not wanting to go in place of our dinner date.