Chapter 69

Day: 737 (Food Drop-Off)

Days Left: 4743

Lives Saved: 4

The figure stepped forward into the light, their bright green eyes cutting through the darkness.

Corinna gasped, mouthing the name.

The chimaera glanced back at the powerful storm outside as if considering something, then finally closed and locked the door behind her.

Corinna stumbled up to her feet, no longer hiding underneath the shower curtain.

Was it really Harmony, or was this all just her imagination?

The two of them stared at each other for a long moment in silence; the only sound to be heard was the raging storm outside and the water dripping from the chimaera's wet black fur.

Harmony stepped slightly closer, her eyes glancing away. "What are you- why are you here and not at the village?"

Corinna fumbled for the whiteboard hanging around her neck, about to write her answer, when her hand froze and her eyes flooded with tears. Unable to stop her trembling, Corinna dropped the whiteboard, wiping her eyes with her sleeves.

How pathetic...

How pathetic...

How-

A set of warm arms wrapped around her in a comforting brace, one hand gently patting her head. Corinna clutched onto Harmony and silently sobbed.

Once Corinna had calmed down, they both sat on the floor, and Corinna explained what had happened to Harmony on her whiteboard, how everyone had found out about what Corinna had done to Bryce, and then the trading post catching fire. However, Corinna herself did not know what happened after that.

Harmony was silent for a moment, taking in everything. "I heard on my way here that Pearl and Daina were set free," said Harmony. "I'm glad that they're at least okay since they never came back."

Corinna nodded in agreement, dejectedly.

"I..." Harmony hesitated. "I think you did what you had to in the moment. Who knows what Bryce could have done to you if you hadn't gotten your mask then and there. Better you in one piece instead of Bryce."

Once again, Corinna nodded, but she was unsure if she still believed herself, remembering everyone's reactions. Finally, after hesitating, Corinna wrote on the whiteboard: I'm sorry for not telling you about the truth'.

Harmony seemed to take her time reading those words, or perhaps was just deciding what to say. She eventually looked away. "I understand why you did it and why Salim and Ivette as well." She hugged her legs close to her chest. "But I still want to escape even after reading all that, about my past. I know that they'll never let me leave, so I have to get out of here myself."

Not knowing how to respond, Corinna merely nodded.

"I went to the sector nearby to try and find any portals to escape through," Harmony continued. "Obviously, I failed since I'm still here," she chuckled silently. "But I... I came back because I forgot I still had this..." Harmony rummaged through her satchel and retrieved a notebook: it was the one in which Salim had recorded Corinna's memories.

Corinna took the book as Harmony handed it to her, though she was still too scared to read it herself.

"I couldn't escape whilst still having this," said Harmony. "I came back to... to give it back to you. I don't think I can protect your memories if I'm trying to escape."