Chapter 41

Day: 566

Days Left: 4914

Lives Saved: 3

Not even waiting a second after the deed was done, Lili got up from the bed and began collecting up her scattered clothes from the floor and dressing.

Riley sighed, watching Lili as she lay on her side on the bed, unabashed by her own nakedness. "Not going to stay for a cuddle?" she cooed.

"Do I ever?" asked Lili, keeping her back facing Riley.

The woman sat up. "What's even your hurry?" she asked, her eyebrow raising as she saw Lili fiddling with her shirt buttons, trying to fasten them up in haste.

"I have to return to my duties," the royal bodyguard answered.

"What duties?" Riley snorted. "It's not like there's anything that can harm your dear princess, is there? Even still, with a mask like that, she can easily protect herself. At the moment, you're just a glorified gofer."

"I live to serve Her Highness. That is all that matters to me."

"I'm not so sure," said Riley. "Those training sessions you're giving everyone, you're not asking for anything in return. Seems like there is something else that you care about, not just your princess."

Lili paused for a moment, then replied, "no, there isn't." She finished lacing up her boots and attaching her tiger mask and her sheathed sword to her belt. "I have to go now."

Riley made no reply and instead continued to lie on her bed, absent-mindedly coiling the duvet around her fingers.

Once she believed that the coast was clear, Lili exited Riley's bedroom through the window. Breathing out a deep sigh, giving one last glance at the closed curtains, she turned the corner and jolted upon seeing a young man with hair down to his shoulders.

He rushed forward with a mournful cry and punched the brick wall of Riley, Jackson, and Clarence's house. He clutched his trembling hand, seeing the blood ooze out. The man's eyes widened as he finally noticed Lili's presence. Wiping his tears with his sleeve, he sniffed and whimpered, "sorry."

"No need to apologise," said Lili. "It's your own house, is it not? Your name is Clarence, right?"

The man nodded sheepishly. "You're Lili?"

"Correct." The royal bodyguard stepped closer and examined the wall that Clarence had punched; it barely had a dent or a crack in it. Her eyes then turned to the man's bleeding fist.

"Seems like you've done more damage to yourself than to the wall."

"It'll heal quickly; it's the Abyss," said Clarence, attempting to put on a brave face, but his hand still quivered in pain. "I can't even punch a wall properly. I can't do anything right... When I finally got my mask, I was still so weak..." He swallowed and glanced up at Lili. "Pathetic, aren't I?"

Lili was quiet for a moment, then said, "stick out your hand."

Confused, Clarence obeyed. Lili instructed him on the placement of his fingers and legs.

"That is how you punch," she explained. "It's not as simple as it looks. Some people make that mistake and end up breaking their own hand." She paused. "If you want to learn more, you are free to join in my training sessions at the Land of the Lost."

"Really?" Clarence sniffed, his tears already drying up. "Are you sure I won't be a bother?"

"I have a feeling you won't be as much of a bother as Kai's consistent nattering," replied Lili, a smile almost breaking through.