Chapter 28: Phthartic Part: 1

Phthartic (adj.) Deadly; destructive.

*WARNING: Violent content. Will include graphic depictions of violence. Proceed at your own discretion.*

Nicolo's P.O.V.

My mind was clouded with vengeance as all I could see was her weakened body, the only sound that I could process was her despairing pleas for help, and the only scent that filled my nose was the alcohol that he had harmed her with.

I wanted to drain him of his blood, to cut into his skin the same way he had cut into her innocence as he watched her fall under his cowardly behavior. I wanted to graze my knife into his body, not a stab that would kill him instantly, but a wound that would let him feel the crimson fluid trickle down his skin as he listens to each haunting drop hit a pool of blood beneath his feet while he stares at me hopelessly as he slowly dies.

But, that is not what she wants, I reminded myself.

"What's the plan?" Leone asked as we pushed our way through a crowd of people.

"Find him. Capture him, then bring him to the pier," I responded as I eagerly searched for the man I planned on torturing tonight.

"There," Leone said as he pointed to the far end of the casino floor.

"They are at the back, making a plan it seems like. They know something isn't right," he explained as I saw Romano's men circled around a table crowded with weapons.

"There are only six of them, they don't know we are here. We take them out one by one, but keep Giovanni alive," I said.

The panic amongst the people began to spread throughout families and couples as some searched for lost loved ones while others frantically ran towards the exit. The unwarranted alarm that we caused in this resort kept us hidden in the mass of frightened individuals as we stalked towards the group of witless men. As I began to reach for my gun, the sight of a figure rummaging through the bar caught my attention.

"Wait," I exclaimed, pulling back Leone by his shoulder.

"Che cos'è?" he asked as we slipped behind a wall (What is it).

"You go in alone. Follow Giovanni once they separate and then take him out," I replied as I handed him a rag that was soaked in chloroform.

"And what the fuck are you going to do?" he scoffed.

"I have some business I need to take care of. I will meet you back at the car when I am finished," I answered as I walked away.

The bartender continued to pack his bag with cash from the register, completely unaware of my presence as I made my way towards the counter.

"I'd like a drink," I demanded as I sat down on a stool in front of him.

"I'm not serving any fucking drinks, there's a-," he began to say, but stopped once he looked up.

"Mazzerelli," he said as I saw a familiar emotion that flashed before the eyes of people I met.

Fear.

"Whiskey," I spoke out as chaos continued around us with the exasperating blaring alarm and the shouts of worried people.

"There was a woman earlier," I said as I watched him pour my drink with a nervous hand.

"I believe you know who I am talking about, sì?" I asked as I glared at him intensely.

"The only woman that caught your attention tonight," I continued when he was hesitant to respond.