Chapter 5: Sanguine

Sanguine (adj.) Optimistic or positive, especially in the face of a bad or difficult situation.

Nicolo's P.O.V.

My hands were under a layer of dried crimson blood, a sight that would strike others with horror, but my eyes gazed in satisfaction. As I pulled out my knife from my suit, I could not help but release a scornful laugh, remembering the events that had taken place tonight. I will not lie, the Aetos Family's plan to disguise a whore as an employee and bring her into my territory was clever, but to their misfortune, it was faulty.

Their spy had almost captured my interest during the earlier hours of today, but I have played this mafia game for far too long to readily give away my trust, and what a troublesome mistake that would have been. The woman had greatly entertained me tonight while I observed her, watching her shudder at the sight of weapons and blood, it was almost too gratifying for me.

Arabella broke so easily in my presence, I have never met such a failure of a spy: weak and pathetic. The Aetos' should have known that the girl was not fit to complete her assignment and go undercover. Their boss is just as foolish as her, but I was grateful for this, as their family will forever remain under my authority.

The Mazzerelli Family will be a follower to none, I sighed to myself while cleaning my knife for my next victim. From the polished blade, my fastidious eyes became distracted by my marble floors, which to my displeasure, have now displayed a trail of blood and muddy footprints.

"I do not pay you money for you to not do your job," I sneered at a maid who had made herself known through the clicking of heels in these empty halls.

This is the only purpose that women have in the world of the mafia. They are not capable of handling the business of drugs, money, or weapons. Instead, they are traded and bought to fulfill our needs. I give my maids what every woman wants, a life full of luxuries and an estate to clean and cook in.

It was a simple idea really; it is absurd to me that the Aetos' had even considered a woman to be at the forefront of this job. They were only right on one account, I would have never expected it if I had never seen her with Alexander, but this had only made me even more eager to get an explanation from her.

"What do you think they want?" Leone's voice became present as he suddenly appeared from around the corner, joining me on this walk to my office.

I remained silent as I didn't understand the purpose of Aetos sending two of his people to my establishment. The drug trade has been going well between our families, and there were no issues to be resolved between Alexander and I; I have not even encountered that man in months.

"Our families haven't been at war for years. I thought we came to an agreement with them," he said, and seated himself in a chair, near my desk.

Now feeling even more exasperated, I poured myself a glass of whiskey and took a sip, all while glaring at the imbecile sitting comfortably in front of me.

"Leone, do not forget, we have a mole amongst us. Unless you are him, I will not be taking any risks, so please, get your ass out of my chair, your feet off of my desk, and shut the doors."

I stared at him as he chuckled and stood from his chair, following my demands. Leone and I have known each other for many years and became close friends once I brought him into my mafia. He is one of very few men who have gained my trust. In addition to him, there was only one other man who has stood by my side through my worst failures and greatest successes; as soon as Leone returned to his chair, the doors of my office were opened once again, revealing his face.

Oh, mio Dio. Un altro idiota.

"Shut the door, Manny," I sighed with my thumb and index finger pinching the bridge of my nose.