Chapter 11

As the sun was setting on the day of the next Gathering, Redblaze was returning to camp with a hunting patrol, jaws laden with fish. He dropped them on the fresh-kill pile and went to look for Mudpelt; the two had become much closer since the battle at Sunningrocks. He was headed to the warriors' den when he was approached by Ashstar.

    Redblaze dipped his head respectfully to his leader, whose eyes were calculating and slightly amused. "I'd like you to come to the Gathering tonight," Ashstar said.

    Redblaze nodded. "Of course, Ashstar." He was still a little unnerved about what Ashstar had said to him previously. Did Ashstar really think Redblaze had the qualities of a Clan leader? Was he actually watching Redblaze to see if those qualities were there? He couldn't believe that Ashstar would really be very interested in him, but as he stood before his leader now, he couldn't help but believe it a little.

    "Good," Ashstar meowed. "We'll be leaving soon, so try to get some rest while you can."

    The rest of the Gathering patrol consisted of Birchclaw, Nightwhisper, and Silverheart, as usual. Ashflower, Twigtail, Maplenose, Pebblenose, Specklepaw, Mudpelt, Beechpaw, and Cinderfrost were going as well. Tawnyclaw was staying behind due to his injuries, and Nettlestep was staying behind, her belly swelling with kits.

    The hollow at Fourtrees was empty when RiverClan arrived; it seemed they were the first Clan to get there. Before long, though, ShadowClan arrived, and Redblaze immediately found himself looking for Icetail and Snakefang. Then he remembered the last Gathering; would they be happy to see him?

    Redblaze finally picked the two warriors out of the group of ShadowClan cats, noticing they both looked a little uneasy. A moment later, he saw why. At the head of the ShadowClan patrol wasn't Tanglestar, but Berryfoot. Had Tanglestar gone to StarClan?

    "Hey," he greeted Snakefang and Icetail. Upon seeing him, Icetail's eyes turned cold and she walked away from him. He hadn't really expected much else.

    "Sorry about her," Snakefang apologized awkwardly. "As you can guess, she's still mad at you."

    Redblaze sighed. "Yeah, I can tell."

    Shrugging, Snakefang said, "I don't see why, though. I get that Minnowpaw was her friend, but you don't have to go around telling the other Clans your Clan's business."

    "Exactly," Redblaze agreed, relieved. He noticed Snakefang was looking off into the distance, seemingly distracted. Normally, the dark-spotted gray tom was lively and proud, but now he seemed small and meek, kneading his paws anxiously on the grass. "Is, er, is something wrong?" Redblaze asked.

    Snakefang turned back to Redblaze. "Not really," he sighed. "It's just... complicated."

    "Is it about Tanglestar?" Redblaze mewed. Snakefang's eyes widened. "I mean, I just noticed he wasn't here," Redblaze said quickly. "He's not... he's not dead, is he?"

    "No, he's alive," Snakefang said. More quietly, he added, "For now."

    Gulping, Redblaze finally understood what was going on. Tanglestar had been weak and frail for moons now, ever since his sickness. Was the ShadowClan leader nearing the end of his ninth life?

    Snakefang stretched and tucked his tail around his paws. "Plus, we've been having some trouble with WindClan lately," he added nonchalantly.

    As if on cue, WindClan began pouring into the hollow. The first cat Redblaze saw was Wasptail; as usual, the brown WindClan deputy looked like he'd slept on a nest of thorns. He watched Wasptail make his way across the hollow and disappear into the crowd, as if looking for someone. Meanwhile, Sandcloud joined Snakefang and Redblaze. Redblaze was caught off guard by the size of Sandcloud's belly.

    "Wow!" Snakefang exclaimed. "Too many rabbits or...?" he prompted.

    Purring, Sandcloud said, "I'm expecting kits."

    Both toms congratulated the pale ginger she-cat, who added, "They're Sparrowclaw's. We're so excited!"

    Not long after, ThunderClan arrived and the Gathering began. Duskstar, looking much more foul-tempered than usual, started. "ThunderClan brings two new warriors: Larkshine and Foxclaw!" After the cheering died down, he went on. "Now that Larkshine is a warrior, Mosswhisker has decided to retire to the elders' den, and we thank him for his many moons of service." More cheering sounded, and Redblaze recalled the number of times Troutleap and Blacktail commented on how few warriors made it to the elders' den. Duskstar finished, "We are just as strong as we've ever been."

    "That's a strange thing to say," Sandcloud muttered. "No cat challenged that."

    He's just sour because we took Sunningrocks from them, Redblaze thought smugly, whiskers twitching in amusement.

    Berryfoot was the next to speak, and Redblaze felt Snakefang shift uncomfortably next to him. "As you can tell, Tanglestar is not here," Berryfoot began. "He has not joined the ranks of StarClan, but it is with great sorrow that I announce that such a time is not far off. Tanglestar's sickness has weakened him, and Whitewhisker tells me it won't be long now."

    "So you'll become leader of ShadowClan, then?" Featherstar asked softly. It was always hard to tell what the WindClan leader was thinking.

    Berryfoot dipped her head. "No cat is rushing to anything," she meowed. "I'm certainly not in a hurry to take Tanglestar's place. But when the time comes, yes, I will become ShadowClan's leader."

    "StarClan willing," Snakefang muttered.

    What does he mean by that? Redblaze wondered.

    "Other than that," Berryfoot went on, "ShadowClan has little news. However, I would like to remind every cat that our borders are still secure; Tanglestar's sickness has not made our Clan any weaker, and any attempts to push the borders will be met with teeth and claws." She gave a sideways glance to Featherstar and Duskstar, whose Clans shared borders with hers. The two leaders nodded but said nothing.

    Was that the trouble Snakefang had mentioned? Was WindClan already trying to press into ShadowClan territory because its leader was on his deathbed? Redblaze wondered this as Ashstar stepped up to speak. "RiverClan also has little news to share," he announced. "Nettlestep is now expecting kits, and our territory is peaceful and secure." A few ThunderClan warriors snorted.

    "What's gotten into them?" Snakefang whispered.

    The last to speak was Featherstar. The sandy she-cat stepped forward with her head held high. "We've had a little more Twoleg activity in our territory," she said. "They come to the moors with their horses and run around, so I advise the medicine cats and other leaders to be careful on any trips to the Moonstone. The horses' paws will crush cats." The other three leaders nodded in acknowledgement. "Other than that, Goldenwing has given birth to three healthy kits."

    That was all Featherstar had to say, and then the Gathering was over. A chilly breeze was rolling across the hollow, so no cat wanted to stay very long to talk. Redblaze said a quick goodbye to Sandcloud and Snakefang and padded away to join his Clanmates, and almost ran whiskers-first into Icetail.

    "Sorry," he mumbled, her stone-like stare stopping him in his tracks. Clearly she was still angry with him, but now she looked like she would say something.

    She eyed him for a few moments, then said quietly, "Meet me at Fourtrees at the half-moon," and walked away.

    "What?" Redblaze was confused. "Why?" he called after her.

    Whipping around, Icetail hissed, "Just do it!" With that, she disappeared into the ShadowClan patrol.

    Redblaze was left staring after her, confusion rattling his mind. Why did she want him to meet her? If she had something to tell him, couldn't she tell him now, at the Gathering? Meeting any other time would be against the warrior code! Redblaze couldn't answer any of his questions.

    "Hey, are you coming?" Mudpelt's voice snapped him back to reality, and Redblaze turned to see his friend waiting for him, his head tilted.

    Redblaze rose to his paws. "Yeah, I'm coming," he replied, and joined his Clan as they left the Gathering.