Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"The voice I've heard is from a girl with agony and despair. She cried for a help but I couldn't barge in on that huge wooden door which separates us. The voice grew louder and louder the same as I pound harder and harder the door. I tried everything. The cabin is filled with darkness and I can see no one. I am the only one responsible to rescue her. What should I do? My mind is filled with uncertainties. Suddenly, a deep and deafening silence ensued. Is she still there? Is she okay?

I step back and the door revolved. The dazzling bright sprang to life. It is an eye-blindingly bright. I squinted and tried to have a sharp and clear look at the girl. She was being blind-folded. I attempted to walk towards her but my feet was glued at the floor. What's happening? I can't move.

"Help me! Please, help me." She pleaded.

Even though I can't see her eyes, I know there are tears felling down.

"I'm sorry. I can't move." I yelped.

I was about to utter some words when she say, "No need to move, just stay."

What is she trying to say? She lends her hand. My heart is pounding differently, so fast and hard. I couldn't breathe. I tried to speak but I can't. There is something wrong.

"STAY!"

I opened my eyes and realized it was just a dream in the middle of the class. It's weird. What's the meaning of it?

"Mr Lavine, could you summarize the Renaissance period." I didn't expect to be called in our class. I stand immediately as Mr. Farrell called me.

"The Renaissance is a period from the 14th to the 17th century, considered the bridge between the middle Ages and Modern history. It started as a cultural movement in Italy in the Late Medieval period and later spread to the rest of Europe. Some good early examples were the perspective within painting and the recycled knowledge of how to make concrete. Although the invention of metal movable type sped the dissemination of ideas from the later 15th century, the changes of the Renaissance were not uniformly experienced across Europe.

As a cultural movement, it encompassed innovative flowering of Latin and vernacular literatures, beginning with the 14th-century resurgence of learning based on classical sources, which contemporaries credited to Petrarch; the -," All of my classmates stared at me. They pay attention on whatever I said. Amusement filled their eyes.

Before I could finish my last sentence, Mr. Farrell stopped me.

"I was surprised by your enthusiastic answer Mr. Lavine. I've never thought that you are -. Well, the fact that you belong to the lowest section, I've never realized that you're intelligent." I don't know if I will consider that as a compliment or as an insult.

"I don't give a damn sir. There are more intelligent students here in the classroom. Maybe smarter than you do but they just, you know, afraid to show it or don't want to show it because who give a damn attention on it? No one, right?"

Trying to clear his throat, he gulped. He observed the other students who were watching the scene between us. Others are now smiling. Others are chatting. Others are thrilled to hear what our professor will answer. I don't really want him to pity us. I just want him to know our feelings.

"Well sir, no need to answer my question," I declared then I look at my watch. It's time. "So Sir, can I go now? It's time."

"N-," He was about to say something but the bell rang.