30: Public Message

Start from the beginning

"Mmhmmm." I interrupted him, gaining a sarcastic eye roll from him.

I put my head back on my arms,  this time closing my eyes. I couldn't help the smile etching onto my face after our conversation. Our constant bantering and teasing at each other, and that one brilliant kiss we had, made me so confused as to what our relationship was classified as. With everything else going on, the girlfriend/boyfriend conversation just never seemed to pop up.

And I didn't know if I had the guts to ask, even if the time did come around.

* * * * *

When lunch had come around, and Kyle and I had grabbed the bagged lunches, we passed through the crowded dining hall.

"It's too cold to go outside today." I said, and Kyle agreed. There was quite a strong wind blowing by now, and the air was cold enough to pierce through your jacket and raise goosebumps.

"Let's go the Assembly Hall." I said, and we headed towards the East Wing, where it was located. It was kind of far, we had to get to the other side of campus and then up a flight of spiraling staircases, and then through a dungeon-like hallway to get there, but it was always quiet and large enough to feel like you have a huge space all to yourself. Many students often went there to gossip or talk privately, or even to have a quick make out session, but it was mainly used to show movies and special guests did their speeches there. 

When we got there, Kyle and I perched onto one of the large niches beside a window, and set our lunches by us. I only took one bite out of my sandwich when Kyle's phone beeped rather loudly. 

I laughed. "If your phone rang like that in class you'd be in so much shit." But Kyle was definitely not in the joking mood. He grabbed his phone like his life depended on it. His eyes were wider than usual as he said, "you need to get out of here. Now!"

I jolted up, ready to sprint. "What's going on?"

But then my phone also beeped, and I took it out of my pocket. 

I had gotten a text from a blocked number: It's not too late

The same words as the strip of paper I had found in my pocket earlier on. Right then I realized that paper wasn't there by accident.

Then I got another text: Join us

"Kyle..." I said, and showed him the texts I had gotten.

"We're getting out of here." He said, grabbing my wrist, already dragging me out. But then, a dark shadow was visible from the doors of the exit of the Assembly Hall, the doors slamming shut and the sound of the locks shutting in place echoed.

I gasped, and my phone beeped again: It's not too late to join us

And then again, join us

And then again and again and again and again the texts came coming, the beeps so close together it sounded almost like one single ring. 

JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US JOIN US

Kyle cursed loudly. We were trapped.

Abruptly, just as I was about to slam my phone to the ground and smash it to bits, the deafening texts came to a stop. We both held our breath, not knowing what to expect, when a distinctly familiar, feminine voice came from the speakers.

"Hi Cassandra." The voice said, "long time no see."

"Where are you? Come out instead of hiding around like a coward!" I demanded, feinting courage.

"Oh? Demanding, aren't we? That's okay, that's a trait we think is really important. For the next heir, anyway." Her voice was strangely enticing yet comforting, like you would be drawn to it and then want to cuddle with her. And right then I recognized who's voice it was. It was that woman's voice I heard when I had been tied up, the woman with the cold, sinister voice. She was Roselle, my aunt, I was willing to bet.