My Movie Review on My Little Pony: A New Generation

Yo, what's up, Kemosabes?

This is your friendly film, TV show, and episode reporter here with another review.

Today, I'm gonna give you guys my take on "My Little Pony: A New Generation".

Here's the rundown of this tale:

In an Equestria where ponies of all three races (unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies) are divided over fear, a young earth pony named Sunny Starscout works to encourage her fellow earth ponies in Maretime Bay to quit living in fear of unicorns and pegasi and extend their hooves to them in friendship.

In the wake of an unsuccessful effort, though, the unthinkable happens: A unicorn comes to Maretime Bay! A unicorn by the name of Izzy Moonbow, that is.

Unlike the rest of the town's residents, Sunny becomes curious over Izzy's presence in the town. After the two of them befriend one another, Sunny learns that unicorns apparently don't have magic anymore. Wanting to know why, the two of them go on a quest to find the answer on why there's a large lack in magic.

Along the way, the two of them are mysteriously accompanied by Maretime Bay's sheriff, Hitch Trailblazer, and they meet two pegasi sisters named Zephyrina "Zipp" Storm and Pipp Petals.

After "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" ended over two years ago, I was saddened for a time because there were things that I hoped would be accomplished before it ended. Nowadays, I've pretty much been hoping that Hasbro could either expand on FiM by either giving the Student Six their own series or simply start fresh with the My Little Pony franchise since they bought a film company called Entertainment One (eOne for short) in 2019 and an animation division known as Boulder Media in 2016.

When I eventually found out about this movie back when it was in development, I gained mixed feelings. I was happy that the three companies were going to do a reboot. But, I wasn't at all excited by their plans to have the new series take place in the same universe as FiM. Especially because of the concept they were apparently gonna use and the difference in animation style. Nevertheless, I didn't want to be someone who'd judge this movie without actually seeing it. I've always lived by the saying "Never judge a book by its cover", and so I believe that people shouldn't judge something without delving into it first. It's a value that I'm willing to uphold no matter what.

So, what do I think of "My Little Pony: A New Generation" personally?

Well, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it. In contrast to its 90% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and the positive reception the movie received from critics and audiences alike, I found "My Little Pony: A New Generation" to be openly underwhelming. Atrocious even!

Among the reasons for why I think so comes from the direction by Robert Cullen and Jose Ucha, the story by them and Tim Sullivan, and the screenplay by Sullivan and Gillian M. Berrow.