Chapter 14

“Short version, D.O.S.A and this other organisation found me when I found the Diviner. Skye saved me, told me to call the others back to the back door and well, she headed back. Saying she was going to try and give us more time to get away.”

Cassandra explain and Nicole takes in a deep breath. She should have known Skye would try and pull a stunt like this. Turning back to look at the bag, she tries to come to a decision.

“Skye also told me that if you decided to leave, I was not to stop you, not that I can.”

The red-haired Librarian adds and Nicole smiles. Shaking her head in the progress, Nicole stands with her head held high. It has been quite some time since she was out there, fighting. It was about time she got some action, she can feel how she is growing stiff.

“Well then, let’s head up there.”

She tells Cassandra, reaching for the lever to her own cell and closes it, mainly to make sure that the Diviner is safe. Seeing how Casandra nods her head, she starts to walk down the hallway and Nicole follows her. Getting the feeling it was for the best that Cassandra leave this sad place before her, no doubt Jenkins is up there trying to figure out how to stop things, even if it’s already to late. As Cassandra starts walking up the stairs, Nicole decide to stay behind, just to listen what is being said.

“Cassandra! What on earth are you thinking, I hope you didn’t do anything stupid. This place is supposed to be closed off, I don’t know how you or even Skye managed to figure out how to open the hidden door, but what is down there is meant to stay down there, locked up for everyone’s safety.”

She hears Jenkins say and Nicole rolls her eyes, leave it to the old man too try and lecture someone else about his poor decision making. Feeling sorry for the young woman that was placed as the messenger between Skye and herself, Nicole walks up the stairs.

“Will you stop lecturing the poor girl Jenkins, it’s not her fault Skye decided to use her as a messenger.”

Nicole starts to say before she even enters the old entrance, and when her head and later on the rest of her steps up, all eyes are on her. Looking around herself, she can see how much have changed and her eyes soon lands on Flynn. She smiles sadly as she sees him and she can the surprise and disbelief in the main Librarians eyes and he takes a step forwards, only to be stopped by Jenkins that is looking at her with narrowed eyes.

“Nicole?”

“Hello, nerd.”

She says, not able to stop the grin. She can see how the new Guardian place herself by Jenkins, in a try to keep Flynn back, which makes Nicole roll her eyes.

“Easy there Jenkins, I’m only out because Skye needs me. Once things are done I will go back down to my cell and stay for as long as it’s needed.”

She tells him, crossing her own arms in the progress. From the corner of her eyes, she can see the other two Librarian look between her and their team leaders. Cassandra moves to stand by her side and this makes Eve and Jenkins to step forwards.

“But, I thought you were dead…”

Flynn points out and Nicole rolls her eyes.

“Time traveling ninjas Carsen. That faulty time machine just took me back in time. I have been locked up in the basement for the last 100 years, that was when Jenkins managed to capture me.”

She explains, giving out the clip notes on her life since she last saw him. She can see how Eve turns her head to look at Jenkins and Flynn, if being clear that neither of them have talked about her, typical.

“I’m Nicole Noone, I used to be Flynn and the Librarian before him Guardian. I am also the Guardian who found young Skye.”

She explains, keeping her eyes on Eve who she can see nod her head before turning to Jenkins once more.

“Exactly how many immortals are around?”

She asks before turning her attention back to Nicole once more.

“Because I presume you are immortal if you have been locked up there for 100 years.”

She adds and Nicole nods her head.

“Well, not fully 100. I got out from time to time. I made sure to get out when I knew it was time for my younger version to find Skye.”

She starts to explain, seeing how Flynn looks at her with interest on this subject. Jenkins on the other hand look at her with surprise in his eyes.

“You’ve been able to get out this whole time?”

He asks and Nicole rolls her eyes.

“I took the oath Jenkins, beside, I needed to be there for that day. I just wished I had killed that man, or well, both of them when I had the chance.”

She says, the last part in a lower voice but she knows the others had heard her. It didn’t matter at the moment however.

“And you kept coming back?”

Jenkins asks, making Nicole roll her eyes once more, they are getting side tracked.

“Yes, because I know Skye would need me, now. She is out there, probably heading this way with D.O.S.A after her since this Rockwell woman recognises Cassandra. Now, I’m not going to stand for that and I hope neither will you all. So I guess...”

She starts to say, only to grow silent and look around herself.

“Where is Cal?”

“I told him to wait at the door in case Skye would need some help.”

Cassandra tells her and Nicole turns to look at her, smiling.

“Good...”

She starts to say before turning to the rest of the group once more.

“I suggest you all arm yourself, we are in the best Library for something like that.”

She adds before heading off, she can hear Flynn call out that the Spear of Destiny is his. She rolls her eyes at this, that Spear had turned into his second choice of weapon quite early on. Heading into the main room that is the annex, she heads for the door and she can see Cal hovering at it, the door open ever so slightly that the sword would be able to get out.

Placing herself by the door, Nicole looks out to see the back of Skye, her wings folded neatly on her back and a group of D.O.S.A soldiers, Rockwell and the group she presume is Skye’s other team standing in front of her.

“Do you know what is more frightening than a winged maiden?”

Nicole hears Skye speak and she starts to smile, knowing this line all to well.

“A winged maiden that is able to wield Excalibur.”

She adds, moving her right arm out and Cal push through the door opening to land perfectly in Skye’s hand and Nicole can see how a few of the people in front of the young woman takes a step back at this. Counting how many they are, Nicole realises that Skye won’t be able to take them all on her own. So with a deep breath, she pushes the door open.

“You aren’t forgetting something now, young one.”

She says, and she can see how all eyes turns towards her, Skye smiles when she looks towards Nicole and she can see a hint of relief in the young woman’s eyes.