Chapter 12

“After her! We can not lose sight of her again!”

Rockwell calls out as Skye flies away from them, flies! Coulson had been ready to try and strike a deal with the young woman they have meet down in this old building, which was a surprise in itself. He had not expected to see anyone else down here and he could tell that Rockwell had not expected the same.

But considering the head of D.O.S.A knew the young woman’s name, they have crossed paths before and with the way the red-haired woman acted, it couldn’t have been any good meetings. The fact that the young woman was holding onto what he guessed they were looking for didn’t help her.

He had not expected the winged person land between them, its back turned towards them at first. But as the person turns, Coulson recognises Skye directly, even if the somewhat large grey wings growing out from her back gives her a whole new look.

“That was Skye right? With wings? I wasn’t the only one seeing those?”

Ward asks beside him and Coulson can hear the confusion in his voice as he asks the three questions. Not being able to give a proper answer himself, Coulson finds that he can only nod his head.

“It would explain what Fitz found out then.”

May points out, making Coulson turn his head towards her. On the flight here, Fitz had come to see him, to give him an update on the airlock problem, which had made him more confused than Coulson had ever seen him. Fitz had checked the logs and it turns out the airlock had been open from within the interrogation room.

This news was not something Coulson had expected and when he managed to have a word alone with May about it, he could see she didn’t like it either. But if Skye have been keeping the fact that she has wings from them since day one and the fact that D.O.S.A knows about her, and lying to him once more, it would explain why she had escaped the way she has.

“You know that subject?”

Rockwell asks, turning towards them in a flash. Coulson can however feel that his anger grows just as fast as the other woman turns towards them. He’s not a fan of the term she decided to use to describe Skye. But he knows he can’t fully blame her, with the list S.H.I.E.L.D keeps on humans with unique abilities, they might as well call them subjects to.

But, this was Skye, their Skye. Yes, she had lied to them and betrayer them and it still hurts. He fully believed she was one of them, but hearing the full story about what had happened from May, Coulson wasn’t sure what to think. And deep down, he knows he should have kicked her out and any other agent might have. But he couldn’t find it within himself to do just that.

Then there was the file she had shown her, her reason to why she had started to hack into S.H.I.E.L.D from the start. But even that explanation feels like a lie to him now. But he still won’t stand if anyone calls her for a subject like that and Rockwell had been fast with pulling her gun.

“Skye...”

He starts to say, adding a warning tone in his voice as he says her name, a name he starts to doubt is her real name too.

“Is my teams consultant. She did however disappear soon after she learned we would be working with you. I thought she was just hiding somewhere on the BUS, I had my team looking for her when we meet.”

He continues to say, eyes narrowed as he looks at the woman in front of him. He can see the same anger in her eyes that he is feeling.

“You didn’t deemed it important that a you were having a dangerous risk like her on the same plane we were on from the start?”

“Turns out, she wasn’t. She opened the airlock we have in the interrogation room and fly away before we could even land.”

They were staring one another down in this moment, neither of them wanting to give up. He can feel how May place herself beside him, ready to jump in if needed. But the time never came.

“Ma’am, we seem to have lost her.”

A soldier speaks up as he comes walking towards them, making Rockwell break eye contact.

“Doesn’t matter, she’s with that Librarian. We need to head back for Portland as fast as possible, if she and that object enters, we are done.”

She says and Coulson turns his head towards May, he can see that his oldest friend is thinking the same thing that he is.

“Back to the BUS, sounds like you know exactly where to go.”

May speaks up, playing a roll that she wants to take down Skye just as bad as Rockwell wants. Keeping a careful watch on the other woman, Coulson sees that she takes the bait.

“There is a perfectly good landing spot right next to St. Johns Bridge, the perfect place to cut them off.”

She explains, making May nod her head as they all starts to head down the corridor. Realising that Rockwell seemed to know the other woman who Skye had taken away, a long with the 0-8-4, at least he hope it was the 0-8-4, is.

“Who was the woman?”

He asks, he had given up information about Skye, not enough really but more than he had wanted to still, so it was just right that she gave up some on her part.

“Cassandra Cillian, a Librarian. They always stick their nose in things that should just be left alone or destroyed.”

Is all the information he managed to get out of the D.O.S.A head and Coulson tries to figure out what connection Skye would have with this Cillian girl. He can’t really see Skye working for a library, then again, he had not expected to see their young hacker show up in the middle of an old city underneath ground. And he is quite sure nothing could have prepared him for the chock that was Skye having wings.