Chapter 20 - Mayhem eve

Sunday 10PM

[An unusually cold night for summertime unfolds itself after a long day that brought too much mental dread for the four Wattersons. Richard felt too restless and insecure once he had no choice but to stay home with his children after he saw his wife run away last night. He really wanted to go after her, but knew he wouldn't have been able to catch up. The kids did assure their father they managed looking after themselves, no matter how much of a shock is still present amongst them.

Richard lies asleep at the dining table with his head on a bunch of documents and old newspapers. The bunny had been trying his best to find any possible clues of where Nicole would've gone to and how her condition has gotten as bad as it is now. But he couldn't find anything. All his life he knew he was short on statistic knowledge and his brain made him more exhausted than he should've gotten by this. But he did also recently realize his emotional intelligence goes way past that. It's his huge heart that aches most as he wants Nicole to be okay. Besides, she's the one who gave him so much hope and he wants to keep doing the same. Not in return, but because he loves her. No matter the size of her fangs, the color of her eyes or monstrous behaviour, he has always known who she is. He wants to keep holding up that mirror to her, no matter how many times he has to.

Richard's phone suddenly rings. He gets startled awake and gives himself a held back slap on the face to prevent dozing off again. He stressfully reaches out with his paws to grab his phone, only for some papers to fall off the table. He takes a deep breath while putting himself in a calmer state before picking up.]

Voice at the other side: Good evening. Is this Mr. Watterson?

Richard: Richard Watt- Me- Yes, it's me. Who am I speaking with?

Kayla: Kethbourgh, Kayla Kethbourgh. We've met before, but haven't really introduced ourselves to each other.

[Richard gasps as the events from way before come to mind again. His brows rise and he slightly lowers his head.]

Richard: Weren't you the wife of that one canine who got-

Kayla: Murdered by your spouse? Yes, but that's not on topic right now. Besides, that situation had already been taken care of.

Richard: I'm surprised by how easy you're taking that.

Kayla: Your wife knows I had forgiven her, but I sincerely ask not to talk about this right now.

Richard: I understand, my apologies.

Kayla: Although it's your wife who I have to talk to you about.

Richard: You know she ran away? D-do you know where she is?

[Richard feels his heart sinking and his voice develops a tremble from grief.]

Kayla: I don't know her exact location, but I know where she headed to.

Richard: Please tell me... I- I beg you.

Kayla: Listen, the government is out for her. She made a promise and signed contracts regarding her condition, with her having received a second chance, cancelation of punishment and funded supply of medicine.

[Richard's heartbeat speeds up and he nervously fidgets with his tie.]

Kayla: But. They recently got to know she's responsible for another murder, of two toddlers this time, and expectedly any other victims... since more individuals from this region have complained about their pets having gone missing.

Richard: So you're saying-

Kayla: Your wife has broken her promise and governmental trust in heavy amounts, plus with them having extended her label as classified animal and rejected citizen.