He did made her feel cared, not alone for that short duration, until she had walked right into his trap by agreeing for this Marriage. She can be tagged a lunatic, a desperate human but she cherished those days when he faked all those emotions for her. His care, concern and the will to make her open up to him.

How she wish there was no deception but a truth? If he actually cared and respect her, she would have survive. She didn’t wish for those fairy tale romances but a simple togetherness. How she wish all this have played the way she dreamed. 

“A pastry for your thoughts”

A shoulder nudged he, snapping her out of the thinking spree she had started weaving.

“Pastry?” Mahira amused.

“Yeah. You’re standing in café. What else do you want?” Asha raised her brow playfully.

Mahira shook her head, eyes darting towards the window and back to her employer. “A cup of tea with freshly baked cookies?”

“Bringing it right away” Asha grinned.

Placing the tray with cookies, Mahira took the seat opposite Asha, picking the mug of tea, she swooned at the warmth, cherishing it.

“How’s everything between you and him? Is he treating you right?” Asha asked sipping.

Mahira felt the pang of guilt, she didn’t tell Asha aunty about everything which unfolded in her absence. She was out of town for the week when she agreed to marry the man who played with her emotions. She wished to help him to clear out the mess he was in because of her but she ended up falling into his trap. She kept the fact hidden about his plans, his motives painting the picture of a happy new marriage.

She nibbled on her bottom lip, gnawing to find the words to answer her. “He is. We both are two different people aunty but we are trying to bring in a balance”

Balance of his temper and secrets; her fears and strength.

Asha nodded, presuming “Do you regret marrying early? Marriage is a big decision Mahi. Do you think you hurried into one not giving enough time?”

“What is Enough time Aunty?” Mahira asked “A day, week, month, year or one whole life? Reading people is never easy even if we have been with someone for the entire life. You can’t guess their actions not until they do it leaving you surprised” more like earth shattering “We can’t know a person ever, there are layers after layers in one’s characters. When we think they won’t do something, their actions prove your assumptions wrong the very next second. The people we know or start interacting are revealed to be entirely opposite. There is never enough time to know a person fully.”

Asha let Mahira say it all, before she placed her cup down. “Time can’t be decided Mahira, it depends on how much we are ready to trust a person. If we trust them, we don’t dread their actions because we know they will never do a thing which will have repercussions for us, which will be faced by us. We trust some with our thoughts, some with our secrets, some with our love and some with our life. It depends on how much you trust and are willing to put on stake” She paused “How much do you wish to risk with him Mahi?”

“I’m risking a lot” Mahira whispered “I started trusting him when he made me feel safe, cared” Then he broke my illusion.

“See, You trust him enough to risk a change in your life. You agreed to marry him, live with him, share your space with him but you can still regret your decision. Not being happy with the outcomes is not the only reason to regret. You regret not to wait, not to think again, not to stay firm. There plenty other reasons. So, Tell me do you regret?” Asha placed her empty cup down.