XVIII

"How could you?"

Theo smirked as the boy who lived twice shifted in his seat uncomfortably under the eyes of the Golden Girl. He was lucky, the blue eyed wizard couldn't help but think. Hermione's stare was only half as lethal as it would be under normal circumstances. Theo was sure they could thank the long list of potions she was on for that. Since Hermione had opened her eyes, Harry had been trying to explain to her everything that had happened, while also trying to figure out what happened in Nott Sr.'s office. No one else could get a word in edgewise and yet everything had been going smoothly until Hermione had asked where Lyra was and what happened to her.

"Lyra is fine," Harry tried to soothe her, squeezing her hand tightly in his own. "She's at home with Ginny."

"Draco and Theo know how to get her to sleep," Hermione murmured, still out of it and not completely lucid. "It's good... good they were all home to help you."

"Hermione," Harry said gently. "She's at home at Grimmauld Place with Ginny."

"That's not her home," Hermione shook her head.

"That's what I told them," Theo spoke up, rolling his eyes.

"Theo?" Hermione's eyes met his for the first time and Theo gave her a soft smile. He stepped closer to her bed but Harry gave him a warning look and he grumbled backing away. "Theo what is going on?"

"I took Lyra to stay with me," Harry said looking back at Hermione. "For her own. Safety."

"How could you keep her from them?" Hermione bit out, trying to stay calm.

"Hermione," Harry sighed, running his fingers through his messy black hair. "You were unconscious. We didn't know if-"

"When," Theo bit out.

"When... you were going to wake up. You were stabbed by a cursed object in Nott Manor. As her guardian while you were... incapacitated, I wasn't going to let her be in danger."

"That's her home Harry," she tried to reason with him. She knew that she probably hadn't made matters any better by venting to Harry about the fight they had all had weeks prior. Harry had been upset for her and he was probably taking out his own frustrations about. "They would never knowingly put her in danger."

"I did what I thought was best," Harry spoke again, firm in his resolve.

"Lyra knows them, Harry," Hermione said, trying to sit up, but Charlie eased her back down gently. "You at least let her see them right?" When no one said anything, Theo just smirked at Harry knowing exactly what was about to happen. "RIGHT?"

"No," Harry spoke quietly.

"Harry James Potter," Hermione bit out. "How could you do that to her? To them? She loves them! They love her! Just because they might not want anything to do with me-"

"Don't say that. Of course-" Theo started but Hermione held up her hand, cutting him off.

"Pansy is her godmother. They all would die before anything happened to her. I know my daughter. She had to have been beside herself not seeing them."

"Of course she was," Theo smirked. "Lyra can't stay away from us."

"Theo you're on my list right now too, back off," Hermione said, looking at him sternly but smiling softly because she knew it wasn't his fault.

"So to be clear. I'm the favorite right now," Charlie chuckled softly, holding Hermione's hand gently. Theo couldn't help the clear sting of jealousy as he watched Hermione and Charlie. He wanted to be the one by her side. He wanted to be the one to help her get back on her feet, face this new challenge. He was aware though that this time, he was the reason she was in the hospital. "Hermione. You are understandably upset but you need to calm down."