XVII

September 3 1998

Panting for breath, Hermione sat in her bed after waking. She hadn't even intended to fall asleep but before she knew it she was out and the nightmares were back. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she crawled out of her bed that was covered in her books and scrolls for class. She needed to get a glass of water and she had hoped that Theo would be asleep. Slipping a cozy, white oversized wool sweater over her tank top, Hermione quietly stepped out of her room tucking a curl behind her ear. She hadn't made it a few steps down the hall when she heard multiple voices coming from her and Theo's common room. She knew it had been too good to be true to hope that Theo wouldn't be awake. But who did he have in there? As she made her way down further down the hall the conversation became more clear.

"Would you relax?" Theo scoffed and Hermione knew he must have been rolling his eyes. "Your tense shoulders are giving me body aches."

"He's probably worried your roommate is going to come out and hex him," a female voice said quietly that she immediately recognized as Pansy Parkinson and her body momentarily tightened in fear.

"She wouldn't hex you," Theo insisted. "Hermione isn't like that."

"She's the Golden Girl war heroine," Pansy insisted. "She hates us all by nature."

"Don't assume that," Theo insisted.

"I don't have to," a voice she would know anywhere said, causing Hermione's breath to catch. "She should hate me..."

"Don't be such a martyr," another male voice spoke that Hermione didn't seem to recognize. Deciding that it was best to just get it over with, Hermione walked into the common room, causing all four slytherin's to look up. Theo smiled sweetly at her, Pansy looked at her with no emotion, but when her eyes met Draco's she could see the fear that he held in them. Smiling softly at the blonde haired Slytherin, the curly haired continued on into the kitchen and made herself a glass of water before heading back to her bedroom.

March 2006

"Where is she?!" Draco stormed through the double doors in the hallway of St. Mungo's as mediwitches and healers followed him, trying to stop him. His eyes landed on two of his best friends that were both covered in blood, her blood . He felt his heart seize in his chest. They were covered in so much blood. "Where is she? What happened!"

"Draco just-"

"WHERE IS SHE!"

"The healer is with her now," Blaise said as calmly as he could, motioning towards Pansy who was holding a teary Lyra in her arms. "There was... there was a lot of blood Draco."

"It was the knife," Theo croaked out, his voice and eyes heavy with tears.

"What knife?" Draco asked.

"The knife," Theo emphasized and the look on his face made the blonde wizard's blood run cold. The knife . It couldn't have been the knife.

"No... how... why... why the fuck was it there?!" Draco shouted, charging towards Theo but Blaise stepped in between the two friends.

"I didn't know!" Theo shouted back.

"Now is not the time," Blaise sneered, giving them both a look before looking over at Pansy who was murmuring to Lyra who had her head lying on her shoulder sniffling. "Whatever the hell that knife did to her... it's not good ok?"

Draco paced in front of the room running his fingers through his hair. How could this be happening?

September 30 1998