twenty-three

Baron Leigh spent 27 years of his life raising Vanessa Everleigh

Baron Leigh spent 27 years of his life raising Vanessa Everleigh. He would always know when she was lying not only to him, but also to herself.

----------------

The ride home was utter silence. Vanessa was anxiously waiting for Richard to speak, to say something, anything. The silence was deafening, but she knew that he would erupt when they arrived home.

"Vanessa Everleigh," The Baron turned to her as they stood in the drawing room of Everleigh House, "What on earth did you think you were doing being alone with a man? I know that you've never been one to follow rules, but you must be wise enough to know that you cannot be alone with a man!"

"I do not understand why you are so angry. Nothing happened." Vanessa protested.

"It does not matter if nothing happened. If people even so much as noticed that you were both gone from the ballroom, they will gossip. You know, as well as I, that not everyone has good intentions. You know what gossip and rumours could grow into. A simple lie can ruin you!" Her uncle's voice filled the entire room. 

Vanessa's frustration built up inside her. She was grateful that Henry had already left London, or she would have to deal with his opinion on the matter, too.

"Ruin me?" She scoffed, "As if my reputation wasn't already terrible. Besides, who could ever think there might be anything other than friendship between us?" She felt her gut wrench.

"Have you grown so oblivious to how others might see you? You have been seen an awful lot around Mr. Bridgerton. It has caused speculations. Don't think that I'm too busy to not notice." Richard scolded her.

"And what of those speculations? Even if people believe that there is some sort of scandal and we are forced to marry, should you be glad? Don't you want me to marry?" She argued back.

"Not like this! Not because you were caught with a man."

"Oh please," She almost laughed in disbelief, but she knew she wanted to cry. "Miles is Charlotte's brother. I have always been with the Bridgertons for years. I have always been around him, as well as Edmund. People have thought nothing of it."

"Edmund is married, and Miles is not. Any person with a brain can see that he is looking for a wife. Are you not aware of what he is doing? Do I have to spell it-"

"I am well aware!" She shouted at him, and she hated herself for it. "If you really must know, uncle. He proposed to me in that garden."

Vanessa felt her eyes water and her strength wavering. "He proposed to me, and I-" Her voice broke as she felt her tears roll down her eyes and she finally allowed herself to cry. "And I refused him."

"So there you go. There is nothing between us." 

"Why do you lie to yourself, Vanessa?" Richard's heart broke to see her so hurt. "If there is nothing between you, then it would not have pained you so much to decline his proposal."