fifteen

The next morning, in which Michael Smythe-Smith discover he has absolutely no chance coming between Vanessa and Miles

----------------

In her dreams, she kissed him. And he kissed her back. Vanessa stirred in her sleep as she saw visions of what it would be like to be married. She wanted to be a wife, a mother. And the dream was joyous for a time, until it turned sour and dark. 

She did not know who her husband was. He never had a face, but he always caught some kind of illness and died. She was left pregnant and alone like her mother once was. And when she gave birth in sorrow, she felt the wetness of the blood around her. Too much blood. While her life slipped away, she was handed her child. And in the worst iterations of it, the child was stillborn. 

It was the tragedy that plagued Vanessa's mind ever since her aunt died. It was the tragedy that took over her dreams and turned them into nightmares. 

Vanessa had dreamt it that night. Any other person would have awoken in discomfort, sweating and breathing heavy. But Vanessa had seen it too much, and she was simply tired of it. But it was a constant reminder to herself that she never wanted to marry. At least, she thought, she could prevent that nightmare from manifesting into her real future. 

After she finally let those dreadful thoughts slip from her mind, she called Bridget to dress her.

"The usual, Miss?" Bridget asked Vanessa before dressing her. 

Vanessa nodded and Bridget dressed her in her usual ordinary attire. Ordinary, at least, for the niece of a baron. 

"Do you ever get bored of dressing me, Bridget? I'm sorry that I don't have a more interesting preference when it comes to fashion." Vanessa asked her. 

Bridget chuckled as she tended to Vanessa's hair. "It is never boring, my lady. I even call myself lucky at time, that you do not require me to be so perfect in my work. But if you ever wish to be dressed more extravagantly, I will gladly adjust."

Vanessa smiled at her through the mirror, "Maybe one day, if I'm bold enough."

"Either way, you always look pretty, Miss. It is a shame not many others appreciate your natural beauty." Bridget finished doing her hair, and Vanessa blushed slightly at the authenticity of her compliment. She thanked her lady's maid and excused her. 

Vanessa always looked forward to breakfast, it was the most important meal of the day after all. As she entered the breakfast room, she saw that most of the guests had already began to eat. 

Vanessa skimmed through the empty seats, looking over her options. There was Charlotte and James who were eating together, looking very much in love. She enjoyed Charlotte's company, but Vanessa decided she'd rather not subject herself to witness their fondness of each other.