sixteen

When Charlotte said that Vanessa would triumph over all the ladies in archery, she certainly wasn't joking

----------------

Miles watched as Vanessa went into a state of utter concentration as she shot her arrows right into the center of the targets. People gasped each time she hit her mark. Charlotte was cheering her on and Kate was gleeful to see her in the spotlight. The two lady Hawkins pouted as she bested them in accuracy. Miles watched her in awe and admiration. If this was a different time and different world, she very well would have been a warrior. 

She was breathtaking.

"She is lovely isn't she? A different kind of woman." Michael said casually. 

Miles snapped out of his thoughts when he heard Michael speak. He didn't realize he was standing right next to him, off to the side, distant from the bigger congregation of people who watched the ladies.

"I beg your pardon?" Miles didn't quite know to say. 

"Miss Everleigh. You're undoubtedly entranced by her." 

"Oh," Miles cleared his throat, but sensing that there was no hostility between them, he joked. "Well, I gather I'm not the only one. You were practically flirting with her during dinner. At least I'm subtle." 

Michael laughed, "You have nothing to worry about, I don't fancy competition. I shall back off. A man knows when he stands no chance." 

Miles turned to him in confusion. 

"Come on, Miles." Michael said, "This morning was all it took to see that she has eyes for no one but you, and vice versa. You make a perfect match." 

Miles scoffed in disbelief, but he was enjoying the idea of it. 

"I'm sure you know that I only tested if Miss Everleigh and I would suit because you took an interest in her. I wanted to see what I would be missing out on." Michael told him. 

"I gathered." Miles chuckled, the air was friendly enough to treat the matter lightly. 

"But you must act swiftly and effectively," Michael sounded more serious. "I'm humble enough to know when to back down. I pride myself in being a man who would not chase a woman who isn't interested in me, but other men are different. They will come soon enough, trying to woo her. If you're not careful, she might slip away." 

Miles furrowed his brows and meant to reply, but he saw Vanessa approaching them along with Mary.

"Miss Bridgerton, Miss Everleigh!" Michael quickly acted normally. "And here I was under the impression that you weren't going to participate." 

"Miles convinced me." She said, and Miles gave her a look. He didn't quite convince her, what really happened was that his father decided she had to participate.