five

When Miles had finally visited Everleigh House to check up on Henry's hand, he had certainly not expected to see Miss Everleigh wearing breeches

When Miles had finally visited Everleigh House to check up on Henry's hand, he had certainly not expected to see Miss Everleigh wearing breeches. Most of all, he certainly had not expected to be physically provoked by the sight. He thought, just a little, that maybe he should have sent a note before coming.

----------------

Miles was absolutely dumbfounded.

Vanessa was standing across the hall from him, hands on her hips, and wearing breeches. They left little to the imagination. He'd been with women before he knew what they ought to look like, but they were all petite, skinny. He felt his face heating up. Vanessa was lean and athletic. No wonder it was not acceptable for women to wear breeches. The men would surely not be able to control themselves from ravishing them. She looked exquisite. It was then that Miles realized he was blushing, and aroused. He shifted uncomfortably, hoping she would not notice. He moved his eyes from her legs up to her face, he had to stop himself from staring.

"Are you happy now?" She was glaring at him, and he hoped she could not tell that he was flushed. "You know Mister Bridgerton, if you had sent in a note beforehand saying that you were coming to visit on this day, then I would have made sure to not be wearing such clothing!"

"I.." Miles did not know what to think. He cleared his throat and came up with the worst excuse he could say, "I said I would be coming this week, didn't I?" He shrugged and looked at her apologetically.

"That's hardly specific!" She scoffed.

"Oh God." Henry blasphemed as he arrived in the hall and saw the situation. "This is exactly what I was afraid would happen."

"And you!" Vanessa jabbed a finger in Henry's direction as he was walking to them. "Where have you been?"

Henry put his healthy hand up in a gesture, "I was going back to warn you, but you were already gone by the time I got outside. Maybe, if you had sat still then this would have been avoided." 

"Besides, it is your fault that you insist on wearing those to begin with." Henry bit his tongue after speaking, he knew Vanessa that irk her to the core, but he couldn't resist.

"Oh you-" She scoffed and made a frustrated sound. "I refuse to entertain this any longer. And I refuse to be stared at." She stormed back into her room and slammed the door shut.

Miles rubbed the back of his neck and turned to Henry. "Well, she is certainly a unique woman."

Henry shrugged, he was used to it, "She'll want to talk to you after your business with my hand. She might be angry now, but she will realize that she must address the situation with you."

Henry sighed, "Today has been quite eventful."

Miles looked at him apologetically, "I should have sent a note."