ten

Miles wondered if women knew the kind of power they had over men's desires. Oh he was a fool if he didn't know the answer to that. More importantly, he wondered if Vanessa knew the power she held over his desires.

----------------

Miles watched Vanessa as she fell asleep. He couldn't look away from her.

In the span of a few weeks, Miss Vanessa Everleigh went from being the last person who would think of at night, to being the center of his attention in every waking moment. He was drastically infatuated with her, and it did not help that his entire family was seemingly intent on matchmaking them. 

What had even happened for him to become so attracted to her? He'd manage to ignore her for so long. He began to recall what happened in the last month. He had danced with her twice and enjoyed it ardently, and during the second instance pulled her closer than what was proper. He saw her with her hair down and thought she looked breathtaking. He encountered her in breeches and found himself aroused. He had stared longingly into her eyes at dinner in front of his family. And only 10 minutes ago he was thinking of wedging himself between her legs. Now, he was admiring the small things about her face that only a man in love would notice. 

He couldn't possible love her though. Not that quickly. If one could even consider a decade quick at all. But here was was, staring at her while she slept. 

Her hair was not as curly as most women, it was wavy instead. Multiple strands of hair were loose from her pins and fell against her face. It didn't look untidy on her, it simply looked normal. It's how her hair always was. Miles assumed that she probably picked at it all the time, he had watched her do it whenever she was bored or not doing anything else in particular. She was a restless person, sitting improperly at balls and shifting ever so much in a carriage. But he liked that about her, she wasn't afraid to let loose. 

And now, she looked so peaceful while she slept. He assumed she spent a lot of time outdoors without a bonnet, but her face did not have as many freckles as he expected her to have. Her skin tanned directly in the sun instead of developing freckles. Many people in the ton would consider it unfashionable, but who cared what they had to say.

Her eyelashes were long and seemed as if they might be ones other women should be envious of. And her lips were plump and darker in color than most. They looked perfect for kissing.

Miles breathed in heavily. I must stop.

Just then, after he let out a deep sigh, he heard Vanessa's breathing become louder. He listened more closer, even leaning toward her just a little. Her breathing sounded labored and heavy through her nose. Her eyes furrowed in discomfort as she opened her mouth slightly to breathe easier. This was not normal.

He reached out grabbed her arm, gently shaking her in hopes that she would wake up. "Vanessa," He called out to her, no longer caring if he woke his sisters with his voice.

Vanessa opened her eyes and looked at him, "Miles?" She sat up straight and held onto the seat.

"What's the matter Nessa? You look pale." His hand was still on her shoulder.

"I think I'm feeling sick." She breathed in as much as she could before she finally breathe out. "I thought I'd be fine for the entire ride but I just began to feel it while I was sleeping. It was very sudden."

She closed her eyes tightly and breathed the same labored way.

"Are you nauseous? Do you feel as if you may vomit? I can tell them to stop the carriage."