one

Who would have known that one lady's feigned swoon was enough to bring two fated souls together

----------------

Miles did not look forward to his newfound mission to cement an active position in society once more. Whenever he thought about how often he would force himself to go to more events, he shuddered. He disliked how much he had to put on a false gentlemanly attitude. It wasn't that Miles wasn't naturally gentlemanly or sociable, he just didn't enjoy having to always act in such a manner even when conversing with someone he was not fond of. So, when he accompanied Charlotte to her engagement party, he did so with a heavy heart and low expectations.

"Miles, do make yourself busy here, I beg. Lady Adamson was kind enough to host this ball for James and I. It's such a rare occasion for you to attend, and everyone should enjoy your company at least once. " Charlotte told her brother in the carriage, and he replied with a sarcastic smile, "Of course, sister."

As they arrived and entered the ball, she whispered to him before she departed to socialize on her own, "I do hope that you find at least something to enjoy here."

"I shall try my best," He ensured her. When his sister departed, Miles prepared to put on his gentleman's mask, but when he stood there and stared at the vast amount of people chattering, he didn't know who to approach. He was already too overwhelmed to find someone he might enjoy the company of. He nervously tugged at his cravat. 

Then, with inner shame and disappointment in himself, he walked close to the wall and avoided everyone. He found himself leaning back and simply watching things unfold. Though he expected it wouldn't be long until someone noticed and approached him instead. It would certainly make talking to someone much easier. 

Then, he saw his sister and watched as she greeted Vanessa Everleigh. They were near him. When he was avoiding the center of attention, apparently he had unknowingly put himself not far behind Miss Everleigh.

He only knew Vanessa as his sister's closest friend, and he hardly regarded her as anything else. Although he was supposed to be exploring his marriage options today, Vanessa Everleigh was almost a spinster. Surely, he thought to himself, there was a good reason that men hadn't proposed to her. He decided she would not be at the top of his list for suitable candidates.

He remembered hearing from others how severely honest her family was. The Baron was frightening because of it, young Henry entertaining because of it, and Vanessa was unladylike because of it. But no matter how negatively the rest of the ton spoke of her, his sister had always adored her friend. She would speak of Vanessa's honestly as if she were jealous of how brave she was to truly speak her mind. In some way, he could relate to that jealousy. 

He was so tired of pretending to be fond of everyone, but still, he couldn't bring himself to let go of what he was taught about manners and always being a gentleman. He was, after all, a Bridgerton; and a Bridgerton had a reputation to uphold, especially the son of a Viscount, even if he was only the second son. This pressure to improve his individual reputation was heightened by his and Edmund's agreement. Oh how he wished it didn't have to be this way.