Chapter 52 | Fusion of confusion

Start from the beginning

The faint noise of the distant high-street parade was briefly overshadowed by the harsh screeching and crunching of metal from the roof's entrance, making both Jane's and my eyes widen in worry when they met. But that was when my wide eyed look of worry turned in a became a joyful and goofy grin under my mask. 'We stopped!' I mentally exclaimed. 'I caught us! We stopped falling!' I thought happily, my heart rate now settling down. 'Wait... How do I pull us back up?' I wondered, realising now that we were just sort of swaying in the wind. 'Heya, Nightmare? Buddy?' I asked, consider he didn't cut in without an answer like usual. 'You there? I, uh, need a bit of help' I admitted.
"Huh? Wha- What happened?" Nightmare asked, his tone somewhat different.
'I need to kn- wait a goddamn second' I self-interrupted as I recognised a familiar noise, which I now understood was the source of his odd tone. 'Are you seriously eating right now!?' I yelled, the sound of lip-smacking and crunching echoing loudly in my head.
"Don't blame me! You've had three occasions since meetin' me where you've dipped into a coma! I get hella hungry if I can't eat people's souls!" He responded, defending himself like his life depended on it.
'You get hungry? But aren't you just a spirit? The hell do you eat that aren't souls then?' I quizzed, the image of a shadow monster eating a banana now being crafted in my mind.
"Hey, fuck you. I ain't choose be a spirit-thing. It's your shitty dad's fau-"

"Hey, (Y/N)!?" Jane called out, interrupting Nightmare. "I don't mean to be rude, but can you pull me up before I slip any further!?" She asked, now grabbing my full attention as she gently swayed in the wind.
'Oh shit, not again' I thought, now re-focused on the situation at hand.
"We need to stop gettin' distracted at times like these" Nightmare added.
"Just hold on a bit longer! I'm still... figuring things out!" I called down to Jane, hoping she wouldn't be mad. 'Okay, Nightmare, now help. How do I pull us up?' I mentally asked.
"Gimme a sec, I need to put this in a way you can understand" he stated, mumbling to himself quietly for a moment. "Okay, I think I got it" he piped up, clearing his throat before continuing. "It's a sort of mimicry, the stuff you extend are, simply put, stronger extensions of your actual arms and hands" he explained. "Think of 'em as a really big pair of gauntlets, but you've got controls that reach to where your stuff goes. So, with the exception of a minor delay, they do what you do" he continued. "Ya geddit?" He asked as I finished taking in the last of the information.

However, rather than answering him I decided to attempt to put his 'instructions' into action. I swiped the arm that Jane was holding down so it was right in front of me before I let go, and as I did I watched as Jane was flung up and back towards the centre of the roof. That was the outline of my initial plan, and it ended up working, however I didn't exactly account for how fast I should've moved my arm so Jane ended up soaring dozens of feet higher than what would've been a safe distance to fall from. "Oh shit!" I exclaimed, realising I needed to intervene. I quickly backwards-rolled off the roof and released my shadow arm that was keeping me up, causing me fall down at an increasing speed. 'This better work!' I mentally exclaimed, now falling past a second story. I reached my arms out to the top of the building and, when the hands reached, I dug my shadow fingers into the concrete roof. I felt myself slow down significantly by the time I reached the next story, so I took that as my queue to initiate step two.
"Slingshot, motherfucka!" Nightmare exclaimed valiantly, with me yanking my arms down to my sides and zooming back up the side of the building. As I soared higher and higher, I saw that I was on my way to meeting Jane's height as we approached each other at absurd speeds. I watched as Jane flailed about in the air, and I heard her screams get louder as the gap between us continued to close.

"I gotcha!" I called out, launching shadow arms out and pulling Jane into my arms. She didn't seem to realise I had caught her, since when she was flung towards me we collided in such a way that I ended up falling while laying down in the air. "You're gonna be fine!" I yelled as I 'sat up', hoping she could hear me over the sound of rushing wind and her own screaming. "Just chill out! This is a perfectly normal situation!" I lied, hoping to confuse her enough to stop screaming.
"Normal!? How the fuck is this normal!?" She yelled as we steadily got closer and closer to the roof of the building.
"It ain't! But you stopped screaming and flinging your arms around so I'd call that progress!" I responded cheekily, much to Jane's disapproval.
"Great! Just great! Now how to we avoid fusing into a meat pancake!?" She asked worriedly. If her fear wasn't visible before, it definitely was now.
"I'm still figuring that one out!" I admitted. 'Nightmare!? Any ideas!?' I mentally yelled, my own panic now setting in as my stomach somersaulted.
"I've got a couple..." he said ominously, and as if to add to his dramatic effect the world become nothing but black and white (with shades of gray) as I seemed to stop midair.