thirty six: spies

Start from the beginning

Wolves like Blake were reliable for his knowledge of combat, sired by wolves from pack Albrich, he was one of his best fighters. A trusted wolf.

“I’ll make good of that offer, sir. I’ll take the whole day off, thank you.” The beta nods while she sneered in Talon’s direction.

Nathaniel watched silently as she strutted away. Probably for good as it look like she was about to crumble, nervously. The Beta was strong in so many aspects. But in the face of Talon Highcliff, she was flustered. Not even her husband could evoke such a state from her. Perhaps a missing eye like Talon’s equals to a woman’s kryptonite. Maybe that’s why she was acting all weird around Talon.

Once the sounds of her boots pounding the floor disappeared, Nathaniel flattens his lips and turns to Talon. He was still stuck in thinking. His brows met, lips contorted into a deep, unsettled frown. Nathaniel could almost see the storm in the Alpha brown eye.

“Well, it’s not even eight in the morning and my father has been arrested,” Francis spoke jokingly. “Why don’t we celebrate with a hefty breakfast?”

It snapped Talon from whatever trance or shock he was under. The Alpha smiled his best and nodded.

“Morris, I want to go on and process the necessary papers for my cousin’s release. Do you think everything will be settled before noon?”

Nathaniel wouldn’t have any problems letting Francis go now. His stay here was undocumented and as for his attempts to assassinate him, Nathaniel promised Selena to let him go once the old wolf was put behind bars. He wanted to honor his words for her.

“Your cousin can go. No more paperwork needed.” He answers.

Talon raises a brow. He didn’t blame him for thinking that was odd. Premeditated crimes never ended with a slap on the wrist.

“Okay,” the Alpha nods. Talon breaths heavily. “Morris, if it isn’t too late I’d like to renegotiate our understanding in terms of our pack’s safety.”

Nathaniel paused, momentarily unable to process the words he had just heard.

“Are you saying we establish a new pact?” He asks.

“Yes. I realized it was unfair of me to hastily pull out my pack from yours out of spite. I never expected the other packs to follow suit. But for everyone’s sake, I wish to revive our fathers’ agreement. And I’m selfish. My sister has already slipped through my fingers and I am no wolf to hawk over her. I feel much comfortable with the presence of your wolves in whatever pack she is staying.”

He was remorseful. Angry at something. Nathaniel felt the Alpha’s wolf, doubting and weighing every minute detail but the Alpha himself was sure. He wanted to protect his little sister, even if he had to go back on his words. Talon’s action was for Selena. For Selena after she had run away from him. There was only one fallout, one reason he could think about. Why Selena was so reluctant on going back home. Why she was there, deep in the forest alone. The Alpha has chosen his mate over his sister and maybe with the alliance, Selena would be safer, even if he wasn’t watching over her.

Nathaniel’s chest ached with pain.

My moon.’ He called for her in his mind.

“Of course, for Selena, for the future of our packs, your will be done, Alpha Highcliff.” Nathaniel shook Talon’s hand.

In a world filled with wolves carrying their blades made of silver, dipped in Wolfsbane, carrying it with lethal intent, a lot of things hang on maintaining the balance of a status quo. Wolves are unpredictable and for Selena to walk around in the current climate, he feared that something could happen to her.