"Unfortunately," he groaned. His eyelids slowly opened and revealed bloodshot eyes that were dull and revealed his pain.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered, leaning over to brush back some more of his hair with her fingers.

"'S okay," he said, breathing deeply and then gasping in pain. "Bad idea."

"Looks like they had to do some brutal stuff to you," she said, her eyes traveling up and down the long wound.

"From the stinging, I'm guessing they cauterized the wound," he said through strangled breaths.

"Shhh. Just rest. I'm not going anywhere. I will help you heal as best I can. You're going to be alright. I promise," said Jaci, trying not to let her doubt of her own words show.

Jungkook watched as her eyes stayed in his wound a bit too long. Though it was a struggle, he raised one hand and rested his palm against her face. His thumb caressed her velvety cheek and he smiled as her eyes met his once more.

"Jaci, you are a terrible liar," he said, smiling weakly. "I'm pretty messed up, but I know that if it weren't for you, I'd be way worse. Just stay next to me. That's all I need. I need you," he said, his voice trailing off into a whisper.

His hand slowly slid from her face and she caught it in her hands. "I'm not leaving. I've accepted my place by your side, Jungkook. I'm just sorry it took me so long. When we're together, I feel like I can do anything. Even help lead a pack."

Jungkook's eyes slid closed and he smiled. "C'mere and snuggle with me. I need you."

Jaci's heartstrings were sufficiently tugged and she slid back down and curled her arm around the back of his head, and let her other hand interlock their fingers together. Raising his hand to her lips she kissed it gently and then made sure he was comfortable. He was already falling back into sleep and she also felt her eyes getting drowsy again.

She nestled her head against his, breathing in the comforting scent of pine and spring rain. Her heart slowed and the beat seemed to match up with the one she heard just under the surface of his skin. Her body may be at ease, but her mind was in turmoil.

What was this thing she and Jungkook had? No feelings had been revealed between them, even though their few kisses felt like there was affection of some sort just bubbling under the surface. However, the entire foundation to their relationship was simply based on her becoming a werewolf and Jungkook believing she was his fated mate.

She felt the call of duty to do everything she could to help him live up to his potential as Alpha. And she couldn't lie that she didn't feel a bit of obligation as well. But was that all there was? Obligation and duty? Curiosity of the unknown and the realization that she had nothing and no one to go home to had to have played a part in her willingness to become Jungkook's Luna.

Jaci's face settled into a frown. She was more than willing to do her part for whatever reason, but would she learn to truly love this man? There was no doubt that he was certainly handsome, respectable, and honorable in every way she could think of. She would need to do some serious soul searching and perhaps speak to Jungkook about it when he was well. She wanted this relationship to blossom into something more than just fate and duty.

She leaned her head up and watched him sleep. He seemed more relaxed, but definitely not peaceful. Laying her hand gently on his chest, she closed her eyes and willed everything within her to help his wound heal.

***

"If you're down here, who is watching over Kook and Jaci?" Sunny stared coldly at Zephyr and Aydan.