9 - A Warm Welcome

Drev barely had time to defend himself against Marko's charge as he was tackled hard to the ground by Marko.

A loud gasp echoed through the crowd, and everyone stepped back. No one was willing to step in but they also seemed eager to see how this would play out.

Kira spun around, her jaw dropping in shock. Why was Drev just laying there, staring up at this stranger? Back in the village, Drev had been regarded as one of the tribe's toughest fighters despite his age and size, which was why even that snake Sylar had hesitated to go toe-to-toe with him. But now, Drev seemed unwilling or unable to fight back for some reason.

The man named Marko pulled back an arm to strike Drev, his hand clenched tight. "No!" She rushed over, grabbing his wrist before the blow could land. "Don't hurt him!"

Marko stopped, his hand still in the shape of a fist as he turned to look at her. His stare was intense as he asked in a low voice, "And why not?"

"Because he's my husband," Kira answered softly. Even so, enough people heard her that they began murmuring and muttering to each other. No doubt, they were wondering what the hell was going on.

Were they going to kick her and Drev out for this? Was that how it would be?

Marko lowered his arm slightly, but still kept Drev pinned down. "He's one of them," Marko said plainly.

"I know that. But he helped us. He helped us escape."

"That's not exactly true," Derri piped up. "He just popped up and tagged along."

"He helped carry me," Jemma pointed out.

"And he showed us how to get down safely," Kira added, relieved that at least one of the Five was being fair. "He's on our side."

Marko didn't take his eyes off Kira's. "You said he's your husband."

"Yes."

"He took you? From your village?"

Kira hesitated for a moment then said again, "Yes."

"He made you his woman?"

Kira began to fidget, looking out at the rest of the crowd. Why was this man saying such things in front of everyone else? "It's more than that," she mumbled.

"So, what are you saying? That he's suddenly grown a conscience or something??"

Kira opened her mouth to respond, when she heard a familiar voice calling her name.

"Kira!" the voice was growing louder, accompanied by fast-moving footsteps.

That voice...

Kira turned, searching the sea of faces. She was too afraid to even say the name out loud. Mother?

Someone broke through the crowd, arms outstretched. Her cheeks were already wet with tears. "Kira!"

Kira felt herself being swept up in a tight, desperate hug. For a long, heart-stopping moment, she was too stunned to react. Was this even real? It hurt too much to hope.

Kira drew a shaky breath, inhaling the familiar scent of her mother's hair. "Oh my God..." she trailed off.

Her mother pulled back, holding her at arms' length. The warm eyes, the beautiful smile - yes, it was as she'd hoped and prayed. Her mother was alive.

Kira started to cry too as the fact sunk in, yet at the same time, she was giddy with laughter.

Her mother grasped her shoulders, kissing her on one cheek, then the other. "Kira! My daughter! Marko, this is her! My sweet Kira!"