Eventually, they reached a door, with a guard standing in front of it.

Wilbur walked up to the door, even as Tommy tried to warn him about the guard.

Surprisingly though, the guard didn't say anything. He just smiled, and opened the door. Wilbur motioned for Tommy, who ran up carefully.

"I haven't seen you in so long," the guard smiled, ruffling Tommy's hair. 

Tommy narrowed his eyes.

The voice sounded familiar, but he couldn't pinpoint it.

And it seemed like Wilbur could tell, because he waved the guard off, saying they had to go in a rush.

The guard's face fell, but he grinned again, before helping them get out of the castle, and shutting the door afterward.

Wilbur checked his watch, before glaring. 

"We have nine minutes to get there Tommy, come on, lets run."

Before Tommy could even ask where they were going, Wilbur took off, and Tommy gaped at his speed, because how was he running so fast while holding a bag with potentially a dead body in it-

"Tommy keep up!" Wilbur shouted, and Tommy grumbled, though he did pick up his pace.

Eventually, Wilbur came to a stop, slightly out of breath.

Tommy looked around, confused.

They were in the village, the very outskirts.

At 11:57 pm.

And it was freezing.

Wilbur eyed him, before motioning to the article of clothing Tommy had around his waist. "Put it on?"

Tommy rolled his eyes, pulling on the sweatshirt.

Wilbur smiled warmly, and Tommy looked away.

Why was Wilbur being so confusing?

It was silent, before Wilbur cleared his throat. "Well then, follow me."

As they walked, a nice change of pace, Wilbur reached into his bag. Subconsciously, Tommy reached for his knife.

But instead, Wilbur pulled out something else.

A guitar.

And then everything clicked.

They arrived onto a small curb, and there were people sitting on the grass. Wilbur took a seat on the curb, and pulled Tommy next to him.

There was practically no light, other than the faint one from the moon, shining upon the couple of villagers.

Everyone there probably couldn't make out Tommy's face with how dark it was.

Which was probably for the best, especially because of the whole, "Tommy's dead" situation.

And it was quiet.

Until the bell tower struck 12, and then the entire atmosphere, as if a switch, changed.

The villagers were standing up, and all of a sudden, the curb lit up with fairy lights of all different colors and it was just magical.

Wilbur stood up, slinging one hand around Tommy's shoulder and another hand grabbing his guitar, and he faced the crowd, smiling.

"I have a couple of very special new songs for you all, and I also have a very special person here with me!"

Tommy turned to him and glared, because what was Wilbur doing?

"This is my new guard, my new friend. He's like a little brother to me." Wilbur turned to Tommy with a look of adoration, wrapping him a little tighter.

Tommy only melted into Wilbur's touch slightly.

The music started and the lights flashed and Wilbur sang and the crowd danced along and god- is this what a concert was like?

Wilbur eventually unwrapped his arm from Tommy to play his guitar, and Tommy slowly found himself humming along, singing words he'd remembered Wilbur writing and scrapping from when they were still close.

He guessed Wilbur rewrote the lyrics as a remembrance.

It was confirmed whenever Wilbur beamed at Tommy's singing.

Songs by songs passed, but Tommy had lost track of time.

But then Wilbur finished his last song, and Tommy couldn't even mask the disappointment.

Instead of thanking the crowd, Wilbur passed Tommy his guitar.

"And for my last song, I'd like to play a really old but important one. You might not know this, but this man right here helped me make this song."

Tommy was about to ask Wilbur what he meant, but Wilbur interrupted before he could finish.

"I published this one the day I was crowned King, ey?"

Realization dawned on everyone at once, including Tommy.

"Wilbur, I don't know if I still even know how to play the song," Tommy said, worried.

Wilbur only ruffled his hair. "Give it your best shot," he replied, and then the lights were on him.

"Uh." Tommy started, before giving a strum on the guitar. The crowd cheered, and Tommy could see why Wilbur snuck out to do this.

"So folks, last song of the day... Butterflies!"

The crowd cheered even louder, and Tommy grew nervous at all the staring eyes.

"Okay then," he muttered, and tried the first couple notes.

Then the first new notes became four, and then eight, and before he knew it, Wilbur was singing along and they were playing music, just like they did when Tommy was six, an entire decade ago.

And sure, Tommy messed up a lot but he was having fun.

In the Empire!

Who would've thought?

And then Tommy was strumming the last key, and they bowed, and the villagers started to leave,  and Tommy found himself watching them walk away in despair, wanting this to last forever.

Maybe the people back at the academy would join them too and they could make one massive band.

Wilbur turned to him, glowing even brighter than the lights shining directly on his face.

"So, you're a pretty good guitarist."

⊱⊱ ── {◆✧◦ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ◦✧◆} ── ⊰⊰

According to Wattpad statistics, only a small percentage of people who read my book vote on the story. So if u end up enjoying this story, consider voting, it's free and u can always unvote later.

Sometimes, Wattpad glitches out, so if you could just check, it would be Epic #VotePrime