Tug-of-War

The teams line up, single file, as large doors on the far end of the room open. As the players are into the next room they see two very large towers, which are both suspended two large platforms high above them, as well as numbers in front of every team. Once everyone is through, the doors close and one of the staff members begins to explain the next game, "I would now like to welcome you all to the third game. Today's game is Tug-of-War. In order win, you must pull the top toward your platform, in an attempt to drop your opponents down below," as the staff member explains Sang-Woo sighs, now even more concerned by the team they have assembled. "Now I will draw numbers to decide which two teams will play first. Everyone, please sit down." All the players sit, the platform they have everyone on is barely big enough to hold them all standing let alone sitting. "First, the team that will play on the left tower." The staff member on the right side of the manager reaches into a black box and draws a number, "team one. Team one, stand up." Team one is made up of 101, Deok-Su, and his thugs. "And now, the team that will play of the right tower," the staff member to the left of the manager draws a number out of the yellow box in front of him, "team seven. Team seven, please stand up." Team seven stands and Opal notices it is almost a mirror of their team, almost half men and half women. "Teams one and seven will be the first teams to play. Will both teams please go to your towers."

Two staff members lead both teams up to their side of the towers and the teams are lifted to the tap in elevators that look like shipping containers. It takes the staff members about fifteen minutes to get everyone in each team ready to go, but soon they stand on the edge of the platforms and signal they are ready, by waving yellow flags. The manager then holds a gun in the air and fires, both teams taking this as their sign to begin. The players on the ground can do nothing but watch as the red flag on the white rope moves to one side, Deok-Su's team defeating the other with ease, quickly pulling the other team off the edge of their platform as they scream. The watching players gasp as they watch the losing team hang from the rope, before it is cut and they fall to the ground below. As they watch in terror, Sang-Woo reaches back behind him, reaching out for Opal to which she quickly takes his hand and holds it tight. Then they players hear the woman on the PA, "the following players; player 245, player 120, player 37, players 408, players 27, players 273, player 58, players 243, player 327, and player 241 are eliminated."

The remaining players wait anxiously as the staff members rest the game. Clearing the players of the floor a few dozen feet below and replacing the rope. "I will now draw the teams for the next round," just as before the man to the left of the manger draws a number, "team four." The group collectively takes a deep breath as they stand, hoping they'll play against a smaller, weaker team. Then the man to the manager's right draws a number, "team five." The team beside them stands and they look over them, the team is all men, who are decently built.

Opal takes a deep, shaky and anxiety filled breath, as she feels a panic attack beginning. If they lose to this team it will be her fault, she was the one who took pity on Mi-Nyeo and brought another woman back to the team instead of letting Sang-Woo pick a strong male teammate like he wanted. The teams make their way onto their towers, when she gets to the entrance of the small walkway, Opal stopping when she looks down onto the main floor, not because of the blood, but because of the height. "Hey," Gi-Hun places a hand on her shoulder, "it's alright, just focus on Sang-Woo."

Upon hearing his friend Sang-Woo had realized they stopped and turned back, holding his hand out to Opal, "I won't let you fall, I promise."  Opal takes a deep breath and nods, clinching her jaws as she takes Sang-Woo's hand.

As the pass Deok-Su's team, he scoffs, "oh, man. I was looking forward to killing you guys." He then looks at Opal, who looks like she's about to be physically sick, "but I might've been doing her a favor."