Part thirteen; golden sun

Thank you to all who were so kind about the long wait <3. I hope this does not disappoint. Writing is difficult and life is hectic. I hope you enjoy! <3

Rest is not the right word for what happened next. I remember asking many questions that received no answer, Nuala and Nuada arguing in their own language, the fish man, introduced as Abe, pacing the room. Each time he attempted to leave, either of the siblings pulled him back. Eventually I tired of the incomprehensible argument and Abe shaking his head at me and I went back to the bedroom to sleep off the headache.

The next morning I found Nuada in my room, sitting in a chair opposite of the bed I slept in. I rubbed my eyes to make sure it was happening.

"Nuada... What happened? The robots, what are they? What are they for? What- why did Nuala..." I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

Nuada sat with his legs crossed, fingers steepled, staring at me like a cat would – impassive and not curious enough to approach. "What happened has a long history. The crown," he tapped the one he was wearing, "gives the wearer control of the golden army."

"The robots."

A small smile played on his lips. "You know how much we have lost because of the humans."

I blinked. His tone said enough. "A war... What Nuala feared has come true."

Nuada stood up from the chair and came to sit on the bed. "I'm afraid it has." He reached out to touch the side of my cheek with the back of his hand. I could only stare as the implications of a full scale war on humanity dawned on me. Those robots, they seemed indestructible. My parents, all my friends and classmates, each of their faces flashing in front of my eyes.

"How could you?" My voice was almost soundless. Nuada's figure was obstructed by tears, could only see a blur of gold as he pressed a kiss on my forehead and left the room.

I sobbed as I never had before. Perhaps humanity deserved to suffer, perhaps it deserved to die out – but I am not the judge of that and neither is Nuada.

Nuala was the next visitor, who showed a kindness I had not expected her to. She let me cry on her shoulder, drying the tears with her wide sleeves.

"You did not know we shared such a bond, that my death would mean his. You did not know." She shushed me like she would a child.

They argued the entire night.

It took a few days to regain a sense of normalcy. My parents and everyone else I messaged answered me as they normally would. News that a large robot army was killing humans was starting to spread. It started from where we were, and it had taken awhile to reach the first cities. Thankfully the ocean separated them from everyone else I knew, although that was a selfish relief.

Nuada had not avoided me, held me tight each time we saw one another in the common spaces. I was too numb to refuse the comfort of an embrace.

Nuala and Abe were close. Being in the same room as the two of them was suffocating, even when they tried to include me in conversation.

Eventually, I was able to talk with Abe by himself. He told me who the group he was with before was, that they protected humanity from the paranormal. It had been a thankless job most times, but they did it, because it was important. And now they were all dead, and he was left. His life empty, just as was mine.

It took another week for me to be able to look Nuada in the eye. He had not spoken much before I took initiative to talk. We met in the library, its fire warm and crackling.

I started as soon as I sat down on the couch. "Why am I still alive?"

His eyes swirled with the same gold as all those times before. Surprisingly, he chuckled. "Have I not made that clear?" he reached out to clasp my hand in his. "Our fates are intertwined. Through your actions, unwilling or not, you have done me a great service. Anything you ask of me will be done." He held up his finger as soon as I opened my mouth. "Your loved ones will be spared."

With closed eyes, I sighed deeply. A tension headache throbbed behind my eyes. I pressed my hands to my face. "It is not just-"

He shifted, then his hand was on my shoulder.

"I want to show you something."

Something in his tone was different, more resolute. I followed him through the corridors, eventually they opened into a large area, which was no longer dark. Bright lights illuminated the hall, which resembled a royal dining hall. All sorts of creatures buzzed about, eating, cleaning, chatting, there were four musicians in the corner, on a small wooden stage. Some of the creatures were barely humanoid, some had many eyes, or large ones, or none at all. All who passed by greeted Nuada with smiled and deep bows.

"They are grateful for restoring our kingdom." Nuada just said, smiling softly, his eyes alight. "And come, there is more."

He took me further, and then a large doorway swung open. Sunlight streamed in. The outside! I could not help but gasp at the sight. He smiled and held me by my waist and pulled me closer.

Birds were chattering, and just ahead in the shallow valley, a construction was taking place. There were sounds of wood falling on wood, hammering, yelling people. It smelt delightfully of a late October night, and of grass. The sun was setting behind the see that was visible just behind the lush hills.

"They are recreating the old buildings and monuments of our ancestors." Nuada explained. He pointed. "The tower will be there, and will be home to many elves. There will be a market place inside, and around the hills will be farmers, and many sheep will graze. Our people can teach their craft and expand their knowledge in the old library – we have walked past it on our way here. But it needs much more work."

Looking at all this life amazed me. It was difficult to stop smiling, and Nuada felt the same.

"We will not eradicate humanity if there is no need for it," the prince finally stated, looking at me fondly. "but this will shift the balance and will give us the opportunity to live and thrive again."

I could only nod and look on in wonder. He kissed the top of my head and we walked further over the hills. The sun grew a deep orange and laid atop the sea like a glass marble.

"I think I understand more now." I eventually said, my voice still croaky. Then the sun slid fully underneath the waves, and left us with remnants of a reddish purple.