Five; golden object

In the weeks following that encounter, a lot of things happened. The news was filled with unusual happenings. Members of some sort of paranormal research agency, affiliated with the government, were the centre of this. A giant plant-like creature destroyed a city block. There was Hellboy, an entity who was already surrounded by rumours way before this incident, and Liz, who could control fire, and an aquatic entity. I suppose the conspiracists were correct. If my worldview already included an elf prince from a different kingdom, this was not that difficult to come to terms with.

Daily life moved along as usual, except for the wild speculations on government divisions and what more they could be hiding from the general public.

It was duller than before, since I had decided to not visit Nuada anymore. The decision was not made in an impulse, it more so... just happened. I still visited the markets close-by the entrance to the tunnel system and thought of him each time.

Another few days later, on a pleasant Friday late afternoon, I walked home from the market after class. From the corner of my eye I saw a small, strange-looking creature with two heads. It made noises in the shadows beside garbage can. They were looking at me, and gesturing wildly to a golden object, it looked like a cog, next to them. The creature looked vaguely familiar, like something I saw in the tunnels when visiting Nuada. Eventually the creature grabbed onto my skirts, growing more frantic.

"The object? What do you want me to do?" I asked, unsure if they could understand me. They nodded their heads enthusiastically. "Alright," I said as I picked the item up with care. It was much heavier than it looked. Solid gold? They say gold is one of the heaviest metals.

The creature pulled on the hem of my skirt, toward the market square. Towards the entrance of the underground tunnels.

"You want me to bring it somewhere?"

The creature nodded wildly, chittering excitedly, pulling my hem harder.

"Alright, show me the way." I said with a shrug. In the last light of the sun before dusk set in, I examined it closer. It had inscriptions in a language I was not able to read. Certain aspects of the disc seemed decorative, other bits were more functional. I wonder what kind of machinery it would fit into, what its purpose would be. The creature soon grew impatient, dragging me by my ankle with all its weight. So I gave in and followed it.

It lead us to the tunnels via a different entrance. It was a little darker here, the rooms were not as damp. The ground was sandy and solid, the tunnel seemed like a normal corridor. Eventually we arrived at a chamber that was somewhat furnished. Most things were made of carved wood, there was a bed, several cabinets and a small table and chair. A light came from above, making the entire room light up in a dusky orange from the setting sun.

By the desk stood Prince Nuada, and a woman was sitting on the chair. She looked very similar to him, was she also an elf?

Both their eyes shot up when I stepped in the room. It seemed... off. I switched my gaze between the two of them, then cleared my throat.

"Um, hi. The little creature wanted me to bring..." I held up the golden disc, "this?"

As if a spell was broken, Nuada stepped away from the table. We met halfway and I handed him the thing. I checked behind me, but the creature was nowhere in sight.

With his smooth baritone – the one that plagued my dreams and yet it felt as if I heard it for the first time – he said: "Thank you. Please meet my sister, Princess Nuala."

She smiled softly at me. I noticed the faint facial scars that matched her brother's. "Nice to meet you, Nuada has told me much about you." There was a kindness in her eyes that Nuada lacked.

"The pleasure is all mine. My name is Elise." I smiled at her, then turned to Nuada. "Regardless of how curious I am what this part is for, I think it is time for me to go. I wouldn't want to overstay."

Before I had the chance to fully turn around, he gripped my wrist in his hand.

"Would you not stay awhile?" He gestured to the tote bag I was carrying. "Bought fruits again?"

I looked from his hand on my wrist to Nuala. "I can tell there is something going on, but it seems to be something that is better without my input."

Nuada let go. "You remember Wink, my friend?"

I nodded. "Of course."

"He was murdered by a demon." I've never seen a man look so forlorn.

"Oh, Nuada..." I embraced him, pressing his head against my shoulder, rubbing circles on his back. "I'm so sorry."

His chest relaxed against mine after a deep breath. From over his shoulder, I met eyes with Princess Nuala. With soft, controlled movements, she stood up and laid her hand against Nuada's shoulder.

"I assume you've seen the news," began Nuada, "about the demon they call Hellboy. It was he."

I nodded, slowly letting go and stepping away. "I know you hold me, as a human, in little esteem, but know that I am here for you if you need me."

Abruptly, Princess Nuala spoke. "That is not true, he is quite fond of you, I can tell." I had not expected her to say anything, since she appeared reserved.

Nuada held my upper arm, in a gesture that could be intended to steady him, as well as to prevent me from moving away. "Then, will you stay with us for a while longer?"