Six; the tiniest cog in the machine

Thank you for reading <3.

Art is Theodore Robinson - The Old Bridge, 1890.

There was tea, and some of those dry biscuits my grandmother would serve. Modest royalty, the two of them. Eventually Nuada seemed open to explain what happened as we sat down at the table.

"Despite the terrible things that happened, I have what I wanted. After this there will be no more sacrifices." He made a definite gesture.

"What do you mean?"

"It is... rather difficult to explain," Nuada sent a warning glance to the Princess, "perhaps it is best to show you, once things are ready."

"Alright," I said, still confused. "Is there anything I can do for you?" My fingers reached out to his hand, trailing them over his pale, veined skin. His eyes shot to mine, deeper golden than before. Not expecting that, I subtracted my hand like a child caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

"Have you ever been to the place they call the United Kingdom?" he asked, his voice deep. My gaze flittered to Nuala, whose face betrayed nothing. Nuada took hold of my left hand, pressing it between both of his own. "Have you?" he repeated as I didn't answer.

That jolted me from my thoughts. "I have, just once, to London. Why?"

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. His fingers were rougher than I expected. I was unable to keep my eyes off our hands together, the difference between the colour of our skin.

"No reason." he shook his head lightly, still smiling. Still I could sense the weight of grief bearing on his shoulders. "How would you feel about an adventure, since you mentioned before how you prefer the road less travelled."

I raised my eyebrows. "To the United Kingdom? Perhaps in the summer, but thank you for the offer."

The pressure on my palm increased. "Not that kind of adventure. Won't you stay the night? It is much too late to return, is it not? The streets are not for humans during this hour." there was an edge to Nuada's voice. Would we fight again? With an awkward spectator as well. I could not place the Princess.

I checked the time on my phone. Sure enough, it was just after midnight. There was little options to weigh, as public transport and walking the rest of the way home would indeed be rather unpleasant, in favour of staying with Nuada. And his sister was there, a buffer for any 'stupid things' I could decide to do.

"I can tell," he said, gesturing at me with a smirk, "you are thinking of going home alone. Do you want a repeat of last time? We do not bite, Elise."

I sighed and gave him a look. Princess Nuala smiled encouragingly at me and there was little to do but stay.

As I laid on the strange, hard mattress, I thought things over. Nuada seemed different, although he was somewhat upbeat. Then there was his sister. A lot must have happened in the time we did not meet. I felt for him, and perhaps part of me felt flattered when he suggested I spend the night. There was a small room, if it could be called a room, with a mattress and that was where they lead me to. On the other side of the door they were speaking Bethmoorian to one another, in hushed voices. It was clear there was a disagreement. Not that it was for me to know, but I was curious nonetheless. I was so tired, too tired to listen closer. Nuada's husky voice wishing me goodnight was the last thing on my mind, before I fell asleep.

When I awoke, it was not to a damp, dark room in the tunnels. It was to the smell of the sea and wet wood. Still damp, colder, but lighter. I sat up in the bed. Princess Nuala laid on another bed, head on her hand, her golden eyes reflecting light.