[34]

Kissing at the party a few weeks ago had the exact effect I expected it to have. Word travelled through the gossip mill like a wildfire. I had a plethora of people messaging me on Instagram asking if it was true, students ranging from my teammates to random people I don't even share classes with.

I told everyone that the rumours were real, and I was truthful to whoever asked if Mackenzie and I are together. I accepted that I was going to receive rather unsavoury opinions, but I had already pulled on my big girl pants, steeled my resolve, and accepted any incoming slander with a hefty pinch of salt.

It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Most people were proud of me, some turned their noses, but most people didn't really care. They showed complete indifference and that meant more to me than any congratulations.

The soccer team were upset with me however. They were all a bit hurt that I hadn't trusted them enough to come out to them, let alone know that two of their players were together.

It was cold getting off the bus. We took a flight from Philly to Colorado and then took a bus ride up to the mountain chateau. My ass feels like it's gone numb, my body stiff from being constantly sat down, and my eyes exhausted from trying to stay awake. I don't mind travelling by coach, but the plane ride here made me nervous, so much so I was gripping into Mackenzie like my life was in her hands.

I'm grateful she didn't laugh or take the mickey out of me. I'm genuinely terrified of flying and it would've made me feel incredibly insecure. Instead, because she's completely and utterly perfect, she stroked my arm with her fingertips and kissed my forehead softly every time the turbulence had the plane shaking.

I'm seriously falling for this girl.

A tiny part of me is jealous of my teammates on the Miami trip simply because the flight would've been shorter and I'd have been terrified for a much shorter duration.

The bus journey from the airport was actually quite pleasant. With Christmas right around the corner, the school trip being the last week before winter break, the trees and the decorations are up in everyone's houses. The dim light of the evening has brightened the lights hanging from roofs, the lawn ornaments and the lit up nose of Rudolph created a comforting and content little glow into the windows of the bus.

I shiver as a strong gust of wind breaks through the four layers I'm wearing, my bones feeling like they've been stuck in a freezer for hours. I smile as my feet crunch in the snow, fresh white flakes falling from the sky in their unique little patterns and sticking to the ground. I adore this kind of weather and all the amenities that are stereotypically attached to it. The hot chocolate and the sitting by the fire wrapped up in blankets is pending. The Christmas movies and the mistletoe.

I can't wait for the mistletoe this year, because I adore the girl I'll be waiting for.

We walk up to the front entrance of the chalet we'll be staying, a group of forty strong students and teachers, the warmth blasting through the front doors a welcome feat. I was beginning to lose feeling in my fingers and my breath was steaming, the small puffs escaping into the night sky like little clouds.

"Right." The teacher running and supervising the trip, Mrs. Howarth, claps her hands as she heads the group, a couple of the less interested teachers hanging at the back. Most of the students look exhausted, myself included, so none of us are really interested in listening to what she has to say. She has a reputation for rambling, and that's the last thing I want to hear right now. "I'm not going to keep you guys. It's late and I can imagine you all want to get some sleep."

Mutters of tired agreement can be heard, Mackenzie resting her chin on my shoulder as her eyes droop slightly.

"You all chose who you wanted to pair up with on this trip, so if one from each pair comes and collects your room number and key, we can all get to bed so we're ready for the early start tomorrow. I want you all in the dining room for six o'clock in the morning so we can get you all sized up for your skis and your boards. I want you all to get as much time on the slopes as possible so if you're late, it's on you really. Now come on, come forward, so we can all get some sleep."