009

Chapter Eight | The Mountain Of Bodies

TW: Suicide.

"Let me go, please! Don't make him leave me!" Seunghee cried out, as the guards put Seunghoon's corpse at the coffin while she was being restrained by two other guards.

She felt someone's hand pat onto her shoulder, making her perk her head up and turn around to see Saebyeok with red eyes. Seunghee loosened her slender arms, making the guards let go of her. She cried and clung onto Saebyeok's body for comfort.

"I lost him, Sae..." She sobbed out, burying her head at Saebyeok's chest. She felt Saebyeok pat her.

"I lost her too..." She referred to Jiyeong, and two girls continued to cry and clung onto each other's body.

-

All the players walked back to the main room to see some of the beds already gone. Seunghee felt emptiness when she saw Seunghoon's bed taken away. She blinked in confusion when she saw the covers being pushed away, to see Minyeo still alive and well.

She gave him a smile and wave. "Deoksu, honey. So glad you won."

"H-how," He wondered, stammering and his face was bewildered. "How are you still alive?"

"What? You're looking at me like you saw a ghost." She commented, while the other players questioned on how she is still alive.

She scoffed at their reaction and pointed at the door. "Those masked guards came in and called me the 'weakest link'. Like nobody chooses you when you were a kid!" She faked a punch in frustration.

"Hey!" She continued ranting, pointing at one of the players. "This guy knows about it! The weakest link." She cackled out. "And after that, they escorted me back into this room. Because, they said it was all part of the rule that in the old days, not to let a kid turn into a outcast, I guess. God dammit... It's amazing isn't it?" She rasped out, cackling once again.

"Let's go." Saebyeok spoke softly to the smaller girl who was still grieving her twin. She gave Saebyeok a small nod, before walking away to their matteess, as Minyeo's cackling continues in the room.

-

All the players ate their potatoes in silence, after they lost a valueble partner. The players were being fed like useless animals. Their food being only eggs, potatoes, and corn so far. Seunghee took a small bite out of her potato and put her head on Saebyeok's shoulder.

69 stood up from his bed and stood in the middle of the room. "Let's...let's just stop all this. I can't take this anymore, I can't take...do any of you still really wanna play?!" He questioned. His attention then averted to Seunghee and grabbed her collar.

"You!" He exclaimed, whimpering. "Didn't you lose your twin? Even after all this, you think that money is still worth it? You and I can leave if we vote together. Please, I'm sick of this place!" He continued to rant, but Saebyeok protectively pushed him off by her slender arms and gave him an intimidating glare.

"I'm sick," Seunghee started, looking down at the mattress so no one could see her vulnerable state. "I'm sick, and I'm tired too. But do you think I'll just let my twin's and many more other people's death go to waste? The mountain of bodies we had climbed up just to get this far won't be useless."

"How do you all call yourselves human!" He exclaimed, losing his composure and lost control of his emotions. "You just killed the person you were the closest to at this place."

"So what?" Seunghee saw Sangwoo's figure walk up to 69. "Seunghee's right. Do you think your wife will come back after we leave this place? Do you think you're going to be forgiven for letting them murder her?" 69 shook his head.

"If you can't keep going, then why are you here right now?" Sangwoo grabbed the collar of the man's shirt and violently shook his body. "It should have been you that was killed instead..."

Sangwoo pointed his figure at the piggy bank that was now almost filled. "See that? That's the prize of your wife's and other people's death. And now you wanna go and leave? You wanna start from the beginning again?"

Seunghee wanted to intervene and tell Sangwoo to at least have some sympathy for the man losing his wife, but was drained at this point. She also knew he lost Ali too, who was quite close to him, so she couldn't say anything.

"Is anybody here wanna get up and leave?!" His voice was loud and clear, as 69 slid down from his body to the ground. "Let's see how many they are, get up and leave this place!"

Even though Seunghee was tempted to do it, she didn't. None of the players did as well and continued eating their food.

-

Seunghee tried her best to stay awake and not fall asleep, but her body was failing to do that. She and Saebyeok continued to lay at the same bed, too afraid what other people might do to them. Saebyeok turned to the side and  noticed Seunghee's tired state and frowned.

"Sleep."

Seunghee blinked rapidly and turned to her, raising a brow. "What?"

"You should get some rest. I can see how tired you are. I'll keep watch, don't worry." Saebyeok assured, but Seunghee shook her head in denial.

"I can stay awake for a couple of minutes or so. You should be the one getting some rest, you have always been the one who is always guarding me, while I was sleeping." Seunghee rejected. Saebyeok didn't say anything and obeyed and slept at Seunghee's lap, too tired to reject her offer.

Seunghee played with Saebyeok's short hair out of boredom and to also keep herself busy.

-

Saebyeok and Seunghee flattered their eyes open when they felt the bright light and the classical music started to play. Seunghee groaned and rubbed her eyes, still half asleep.

The heavy metal doors opened, revealing the masked guards carrying a coffin and walked up.

Seunghee frowned and tugged Saebyeok's sleeve. "Did someone get killed while we were sleeping?"

Saebyeok shook her head. "No, look."

She pointed her finger, to which Seunghee followed and gasped when she saw player 69's body get hanged. The masked guards brought down the body to the coffin, and money dropped to the piggy bank.

"Player 69, eliminated."

AUTHOR'S NOTE: lowkey kinda short compared to the ones that I have written before and this chapter is kinda boring, but I want this book to have more chapters and I don't wanna immediately end this story. Also, thank you all for 4k reads! It was around 4 chapters ago that I thanked yall for 1k reads. The amount of support I have gotten is crazy. Thank you all once again!