003

Chapter Three | Only Chance

All the other players that survived headed back to the dark main room, still traumatised at what just happened. Seunghee sat on the ground with Seunghoon and Saebyeok right beside her. She felt like she was about to throw up any moment now. The scenario of people running away and getting shot, while she and Saebyeok stood there haunted her.

Saebyeok noticed Seunghee face of horror and sat down next to her, while rubbing her back for comfort. Seunghoon's head and back leaned against the bed's frame and let out a shaky breath.

The door buzzed and the masked people from earlier walked into the room. The lights then turned on, as the other players got up from the ground and stood.

"Congratulations. All of you have made it to the first round." The man in the center congratulated them, yet no one in that room felt victorious.

"I will now announce the result of the game." The numbers of the big screen then lowered down. A couple of seconds have passed and there were only two hundred and three people left.

"So that means two hundred and fifty-five players died..." Seunghee muttered out, underneath her breath, but it was enough for Saebyeok and Seunghoon to hear.

People around them gasped and trembled in fear. One woman stepped up to the front.

"Mister! Listen, I'm so sorry. But listen, I have a child. Let me at least register and name them, please!" The woman cried out and begged them, on her knees and clasping her hand.

Many more people then begged them to let go and promised they will pay off the debt that they have caused. The masked man then shotted on the roof, causing people to stay silent and fearfully stumble back.

"Enough, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. We're not here to kill you, but give you a second chance."

"Second chance? Say that to the people who was shot in the head just because they couldn't win a stupid kids game!" Seunghoon exclaimed.

"Those people didn't follow the rules. Just like we said, as long as you follow the rules and stand still when the doll says red light, then you won't be eliminated." The masked man responded, making the Seunghoon scoffed at his words.

"Remember rule number one; a player who refuses to play will be eliminated."

"But also remember rule number three; the games will be terminated if the majority agrees," Seunghee spoke out loud, remembering what she read earlier.

"Very well. However, let me show you much money will be won if you wish to stay and continue the games." The masked spoke, pulling out a remote and clicking a button.

Everyone watched in amazement when a giant cute pig came out of the rules and their jaws dropped when the pig was filling with money. More money than they have ever seen in their lives.

"Two hundered and fifty five players were eliminated last game and each player is worth a hundered million won. Therefore, the amount of money you're seeing is twenty-five point five billion won." The masked man explained.

"If you wish to leave, then the players who have died will be sent a hundred million won to their families, but you will be leaving home empty-handed.

212 raised her hand to speak. "So then, how much money will we get after we win?"

"There are about 458 participants, so that means if you win, then you get to go home with forty-five point eight billion won." The man asked man responded.

Seunghee's jaws dropped and looked to the sides to her brother and Saebyeok who was just as amazed as well.

"Please pick press O if you wish to continue, press X if you don't. Voting will be done in reverse by the numbers of your chest." Seunghee looked down at hers, then realised she's the first to pick.

"Number 458, please choose between O or X." All eyes were on her. Seunghee stepped forward to the machine. She thought for a second, but then look back to the piggy bank.

She pressed O without hesitation.

Seunghoon face was shocked at what she picked. If anything, he thought she would press X. After Seunghee walked to the other side of the room, it was Seunghoon's turn.

He pressed X then stood beside his twin.

The stakes were high. It was down to 101 and 101. Seunghee looked at the big screen that was in front of her then looked back at the last player, who was the old man she saw earlier. She hoped she would press O, while her twin thought the opposite.

The old man stared at the two, before pressing O.

Half of the players were happy and celebrating, while the other half groaned in frustration and were annoyed. Seunghee sighed in disappointment, while Seunghoon sighed in relief.

"The majority won. Therefore, all of you will be sent back home."

"Hey, wait! Let the people who want to be sent back home go, but at least let us stay here!" One of the men begged them.

"Correct! Half of us died already, we can't stop now!"

"He's right!"

"Are you out of your mind? Is this just a game for you? No amount of money will ever be valuable than your life." Seunghoon questioned in shock.

"Those people died, while we survived. It's our money, not theirs. We get to have it." Seunghee spoke up and glared at her brother, Seunghoon scoffed.

"Do not worry. If you wish to participate again, then we will contact you. But as of now, goodbye."

Seunghee and Seunghoon yelped as they were pushed out of the van with their wrist on their back and feet tied, and a blinded sight and their stuff being thrown at them, before hearing the engine driving away. They were both naked and was lying on the cold ground.

"Damn it. Seunghoon, help me." Seunghee begged her brother. Seunghoon used his teeth to free Seunghee's wrist.

She sighed in relief and took off the blindfold and rope around her feet. She then put on her clothes, before helping her brother.

After she helped, she offered him a hand to stand up. Seunghoon scoffed and slapped it away, before standing up and walking away from her.

She sighed. "Are you mad at me for pressing O? You and I both know that was the only chance we could get to live a normal and wealthy life!"

Seunghoon stopped dead in his tracks. "That game will also cost us our lives! Play again if you want, but count me out." He said, before walking again.

Seunghee stomped on the ground and looked down noticing the card again. She looked around the area to make sure no one was watching, and picked it up.

Seunghoon laid down at the warm water of the hotel's room. It had been two hours since he last talked to his twin and got worried. He discovered he had all the cash in his wallet, meaning Seunghee had none.

He heard knocking on his hotel door but assumed it was just room service, and ignored them. The knocks got faster and harder, however, making him groan and got up from the bath, wrapping a towel around his lower body.

He walked up towards the hotel door. He was about to open it, before a card was slipped through the lower part of the door. He squinted his eyes and bent down, to see it was the same card he and his sister received from the mysterious man from the bus stop.

'June 23, midnight.
Wait outside this hotel.'

AUTHOR'S NOTE : don't forget to interact. every read, vote, and comment means the world to me.