Chapter 20

A hundred meters away from the camp, tapping her foot over the dry soil, stood Jennie impatiently waiting for Lisa to finally appear. For the last thirty-two long minutes, the brunette slowly started to panic at the thought of the very worst happening but tried to calm herself down, excusing Lisa's late arrival with something that didn't threaten her life.

She kept glancing back along the path where she came from, her chipped fingernails not once leaving her trembling teeth. She expectantly waited for Lisa to peak between the trees, jump and scare her even, and say that it was all simply a bad joke, that she was just playing with her fragile heart. Jennie didn't even plan on getting mad at her as long as Lisa came back to her, safe and sound.

The clock ticked further without a single care and counted more of the silent minutes in which Jennie stood alone, gifted with no trace of the woman she loved. Her fingers curled around the sleeves of her shirt as she hugged herself closer in an attempt to banish the cold air. She glanced towards the empty boat, watching as the restlessness of the waters pushed it around gently, creaking its old wooden planks.

She remembered clearly Lisa's stern voice the last time she heard it, telling her to run if something went wrong and to not ever look back. Jennie could also remember herself agreeing to the ridiculous plan of the lieutenant. But now, as she contemplated if she should act on it and save herself until she had that opportunity, Jennie realized that she couldn't actually do it.

Lisa was still somewhere out there. Probably in danger. Probably already in heaven. Fighting for Jennie's safety which the brunette planned on jeopardizing when she dropped the backpack in the boat and pulled out the small hunting knife that brought them this far.

With trembling feet and deep breaths, Jennie made her way back towards the man's camp. Her whole body and mind screamed in protest at the thought of leaving Lisa behind when the lieutenant never did. Lisa was always there for her despite her own unpleasant feelings towards her ex-girlfriend. She went against herself to keep her safe.

How could Jennie leave?

As scared as she was, the brunette found herself even more determined to come of help, at least once, and return even just a little portion of everything Lisa had done for her. Whatever was happening back there couldn't not be settled by them. They were two against one, supposedly an easy win against the danger.

After a few minutes long walk, she finally started seeing the traces of light peeking through the darkness and knew she was close. She slowed down and stepped carefully to not create any noises, soon coming face to face with the back of the man's tent. She stepped as closer to it as possible and moved along its length.

Jennie quickly noticed the strangely quiet atmosphere. Her eyebrows furrowed in question. What exactly was happening? Her raged breaths hitched in her throat once she peeked from the right side of the hut, her eyes immediately landing on the slumped figure of Lisa who seemed to be observing a knife double the size of the one squeezed in Jennie's fist.

It felt like a pile of bricks fell off of the brunette's shoulders when she saw Lisa whole and untouched, though putting her attention on something that wasn't in their plan and could easily jeopardize it. Emotions then rushed into her body. Fear, sadness, happiness, anger, frustration, all came crashing at once and she felt her eyes tear up.

She wanted out of this hellhole as soon as possible so she could cry in peace, but not before taking Lisa with herself. Jennie wanted to scold her, scream at her, take all her frustration on her for making her think of the worst possible scenarios while she casually entertained herself excessively.